A Couple of Strange Hoppers

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

beetleman

A Couple of Strange Hoppers

Post by beetleman »

One is a strange grasshopper and the other is a leafhopper. Both are new to me. The grasshopper was very small, only about 13mm long (.5") It was a full flying adult. Pictures again are from my Aug. 2007 folder.

Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

jaharris1001

Post by jaharris1001 »

Doug those are some unusual ones there,, really like the colors in the second one :wink:
Jim

"I'm growing older,, but not up " Jimmy Buffett

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

That first hopper sure is an unusual one Doug, looks as though it has a pencil in its hind claw. Maybe it is leaving a note. There is an aphid back there too, in the background to the right, bonus bugs! :wink: That little leaf hopper is quite colorful also. :D

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

I don't know the Nearctic fauna but it seems to be a pygmy grasshopper, possibly a Tetrix species.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I don't pretend to be a bug ID expert, having no formal schooling in that area - but here in the UK some of my books show a separate group (within the crickets/grasshoppers order Orthoptera) called 'groundhoppers' which this first picture looks a lot like in shape! I don't know if this is a proper taxonomic grouping...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Pygmy grasshoppers are found all over the U.S. also, including many Tetrix species. The one Doug has looks consistent with this one shown at BugGuide, which is identified as probably Tetrix, possibly T. arenosa.

'Tis the season for these critters, which overwinter as adults even in northern areas.

Laurie, in quick search of the web, it appears that your "groundhopper" is exactly the same group.

--Rik

nto

Post by nto »

Leafhopper is Colladonus clitellarius found photos http://www.pbase.com/tmurray74/leafhopp ... colladonus
Antonio

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

WOW, Thanks everyone of the IDs. I never heard of pigmy or groundhoppers. :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic