www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Shooting the "Carpet beetle again"
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Shooting the "Carpet beetle again"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Shooting the "Carpet beetle again" Reply with quote

OK, I relented and took a picture of the setup I used to shoot the unmounted carpet beetle.

Some old-timers will notice that I've disconnected the illuminator stand from the stacking unit. That resolved some worries about vibration, and also simplified tipping up the stacking unit to various angles.

Despite appearances, the system is comfortably stable in this configuration. Anyone wanting to do something similar should note that all the parts in the camera chain are fastened at multiple points several inches apart.

BTW, the chunk of glass is actually two microscope slides stuck together. They came out of the box that way, refused to come apart easily, and finally I realized the double thickness could be handy by moving the specimen farther away from the balsa surface.

--Rik
nto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rik for Illustration, Moving micro using basis iron? or bellows?
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base iron. The handle at very top.

Steps needed for microscope objective are much too small to do with bellows.

0.0002 inches = 0.005 mm = 5 microns !

This is 1/5 of one tick mark on the dial, 100 tick marks per full turn.

--Rik
Danny
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent to see Rik and I love the lighting, excellent !!!!. Always hoping to see breathing subjects though. Another me thing I guess Wink

All the best and great to see the setups. Never stop with these ideas, please. We need a place in the articles for ALL these setups in here. Its a wealth of information Rik.

Danny.
augusthouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Rik,
It clearly demonstrates just how adaptable your setup is and opens up all sorts of other options (not that you aren't aware of them), ie, you could slide your microscope in under the bellows for photomicrography. There is also the option for integrating elaborate back-lighting methods with regard to the stage area for photomacrography; or tip it up into horizontal mode when necessary or preferred.

I like it!!

Did you mark the additional 'tick marks' on the dial by shallow engraving or with a surface method?

Craig

Last edited by augusthouse on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nzmacro wrote:
Always hoping to see breathing subjects though.

Me too. But I haven't figured out how to pull that off except for a very few subjects -- eggs, of course, and pupae, and some caterpillars, and a moth or two, one very cooperative spider, some anaesthetized critters, and so on.

If I ever do figure out how to do it in general, rest assured that you'll hear about it --- right after the patent is filed and the product sales sheets are ready! Very Happy

Quote:
Did you mark the additional 'tick marks' on the dial by shallow engraving or with a surface method?

Neither. The dials come engraved at 100 ticks per full turn. In an earlier version, I carefully made a vernier scale on paper and taped it next to the dial. In theory, that would let me read to 1/10 of an existing tick mark. In practice, the added scale was more trouble than it was worth, because I could not reliably make movements fine enough to justify it. Now I just eyeball 1/5 of a tick or whatever I need. The uncertainty in reading the dial is comparable to variability in making the movements. For a 10X NA 0.30 objective, microscopyu calculates a DOF of about 7.5 microns. Using a nominal step size of 5 microns seems to work out OK -- no doubt I end up shooting more frames than I need, but it's not hugely more, and I don't have any trouble with missing frames.

--Rik
acerola

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik, How can you fix the microscope objective on a bellows? They all (?) have RMS thread as I think. Any idea? (apart from making a hole on a body cap Smile )
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Péter,

Here's one way:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productID=1968
acerola

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Charles, I ordered it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: