The problem with Microscopes is...

Lets get to know each other better. Here's a forum to post images and short autobiographies of ourselves as well as any other info you would like to post about yourself.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Alan Smith

The problem with Microscopes is...

Post by Alan Smith »

They breed...first one, then two, now there's another on the way.
ENG8 Culham 002.JPG

Chris S.
Site Admin

Re: The problem with Microscopes is...

Post by Chris S. »

Nice stuff!

Lucky you, Alan. In my studio, it's cast off optical/mechanical parts--potentially useful in future macro rigs--that breed. To the unenlightened, it looks an awful lot like junk.

--Chris S.

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

The one nearest the camera is a Frankenscope really. Omax stand, Swift Trinocular, Leitz Nikon and Amscope optices, uprated LED lighting. But it works very well.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Amen to that!

I once proclaimed that my Zeiss ICM405 was the last microscope I'd ever buy. Hah! I've bought 6 more since then and still have 6 permanently set up and ready to use (not counting field scopes and ones bought for parts).

It's all very well having one "do it all" microscope but different tasks require different setups and my diatom projects tie scopes up for days on end (both stereo and compound). Tearing stuff down to set up for something else becomes a barrier. A "can't be bothered" mindset kicks in and things don't get done. So I indulged myself over the years and bought more scopes to optimise for, and dedicate to, the specific tasks I do most. I think I'm done now.

And then there's camera gear. Such a pain to keep swapping stuff between scopes, macro rigs and regular (outdoor) photography. The "can't be bothered" syndrome again. Soooo... :D

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

I agree about the nuisance of having to swap stuff around, especially since I do some (and increasing amounts of) paid-for microscopy, mostly looking at metal plating and oxidised surfaces. A number of companies seeking to trim costs realise that lovely though it is, they don't always need bought-in electron microscopy to show them what's going on. On the topic of cameras I tend to stick with Canon, the D50 being a favourite despite the APS-C sensor. I also have an EOS 5D mk2 with a full frame chip, but that's a new (old) toy from Ebay. D50's have live view and you can buy a near-mint body-only one for very little money, so permanent fixtures are always possible.

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

I bought this Nikon SMZ-2 on Ebat for £49 delivered. The optics and zoom work just fine, but the lighting systems - top and bottom - and the platen are missing. Still a bargain I think. TLC and new LED lighting required. More fun!
Nikon Microscope.jpg

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Alan Smith wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:42 am
I bought this Nikon SMZ-2 on Ebat for £49 delivered. The optics and zoom work just fine, but the lighting systems - top and bottom - and the platen are missing. Still a bargain I think. TLC and new LED lighting required. More fun!

Nikon Microscope.jpg
I'd be happy with that deal. Nice one. You get to practice cutting a glass circle too. Old picture frames from charity shops are a good source there, you can find some pretty thick stuff in smaller frames if you shop around. But check the glass *is* glass. I fell for that once and wasted a whole 30p. Mortified :)

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

I have a piece of white translucent perspex in the scrap-bin. I can turn that on my lathe. Unless you know of a good reason for using glass- I thought these platens are often frosted?

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Some are translucent but I've had a couple like that which had a glass disk instead. That and I see a substage mirror, so I thought that might work better through a transparent stage too. I'm sure your perspex will work fine though.

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

I am going to replace the substage mirror (which is toast anyway) with one of these little motorcycle spotlight LEDs- which I have rather taken to. 15w narrow beam jobs. And the top-light as well. They are a nice neutral daylight-ish colour, dimmable, metal cased, run on 12-60V, narrow bean and (allegedly) 15W. All for £14.00. What's not to like? The only unknown is how durable they turn out to be.

I have another question about this scope btw. The two objectives are slightly recessed in a shroud arrangement. I notice the shroud is threaded as if to take some other part - is that for a Barlow lens?
LED microscope 003.JPG

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

The thread is possibly for the lenses pictured below, if it's 42-43mm diameter (I just measured quickly with a ruler). There's 0.5x, 0.7x and 1.5x. They came with a small Nikon stereozoom that got broken in transit due to appalling packing. I got a full refund but the seller let me keep everything. The prisms in the scope are all out of whack but there were some useful parts (oculars, stand+focusser, polariser etc). And these lenses...
20231103_183601--pmn.jpg
I have no use for these really, just hoarding. Perhaps they're of interest to you? Probably best to take this off the forum if you want to chat about them - PM me.

Cheers
Beats

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

Done!

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Alan Smith wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:42 am
I bought this Nikon SMZ-2 on Ebat for £49 delivered.
Well done! If I find such a beast, I'll hit "buy" in an instant.

--Chris S.

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

Cleaning up is starting to bear fruit.
zoom re-fit 012.JPG

Alan Smith

Post by Alan Smith »

It has been pointed out to me that the polariser platen in the picture above is upside down. For which thank you. The knurled ring to rotate the polarise is (in this picture) on the bottom, and the branding on top - obviously designed to confuse the unwary.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic