Stichotricha aculeata, with additional video

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Gerd

Stichotricha aculeata, with additional video

Post by Gerd »

this is Stichotricha aculeata, a wonderful freshwater ciliate, which builds jelly-housings.
The first two images show the individual free swimming, the upper pic focused to the mid of the cell,
the lower pic focused to the cell surface to show the spiraled cilia rows.
The third pic lets you take a look into Stichotrichas living room.
A video clip of Stichotricha you can find here : (DIVX coded) : http://home.arcor.de/gerd-a.guenther/video/sticho.avi
Thanks,
Gerd

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Excellent! It is a great combo, to have the high quality still images combined with the movie.

Gerd, at 44-46 seconds into the movie, I see a large round structure in the middle of the beast, that seems to suddenly contract and disappear. I don't see any focus shift at that time to explain the appearance. Is this a contractile vacuole?

Hhmm! On more replays, I see a second structure, similar but smaller, that seems to contract an instant earlier. It is above and to the right of the big one. A second contractile vacuole?

--Rik

Thomas Ashcraft

Post by Thomas Ashcraft »

Hi Gerd,

Thanks for your sublime images. They are full of clear and beautiful information for sure.

I have been trying all day to access the movie link but get an "unable to connect" message unfortunately. Maybe it is my personal internet that is the problem. Not sure. I am wondering if most others can connect to the movies?

Tom

Gerd

Post by Gerd »

Rik, thanks for the comments ! Yes, correct, there are two contractile vacuoles.
@ Tom, i have tested the link to the videos, everything works well, don't know what's wrong until now...
sorry, hope, you will fix it soon...
Gerd

Mike

Post by Mike »

Gerd,

Great shots and clip as well! You really have you're system 'tuned' in and the results demonstrate it.

Are these done with your patented adapter? I think you should go into production - please put me on the list for one!

All the best,
Mike
"Nil satis nisi optimum"

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic