Slides

Starting out in microscopy? Post images and ask questions relating to the microscope and get answers from our more advanced users on the subject.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mo Vaughan

Slides

Post by Mo Vaughan »

Members
Is it possible to save a slide with the microscopic organisms covered with a slide cover and sealed with nail varnish.
I have taken a slide of hundreds of Chlorophyceae namely Ankistrodesmus (thanks to the download).
I would have thought it might decompose over a period of time, if so is there any way to save the slide and contents?

Many thanks,
Mo :lol:
Thebeeman

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mo,

It's a good question. You posted this topic in the Articles forum; I moved it to Beginners Guide because I thought it fit better here.

--Rik

BJ

Post by BJ »

Hi Mo,

To be honest I would not bother. It is difficult to get a good permanent preparation without a lot of effort and experience - especially of a subject that contains so much water. In most methods the specimen has to be dehydrated using a series of increasing strengths of alcohol. Another problem with your alga is that you will probably lose the green colour either through bleaching with time or leaching out in the alcohol. Some subjects eg your "bee bits" are much easier to prepare and I think would be worth a go.

There are number of articles on making permanent mounts in micscape magazine:

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/index.html

and then go to the search tool

I do store samples of micro-algae for later examination. I normally use iodine - preferably Lugols Iodine - but usually "tincture of iodine" added to a glass tube containing the sample - just enough to get a weak tea colour. Parts of the algae will stain brown or black. Store in the dark and you may have to top up the iodine periodically as it evaporates. Alternatively you could use formaldehyde (formalin) instead of iodine. This wont stain the cells and if kept in the dark the algae may retain the green colour for quite some time.

For me, preserved algae and other aquatic specimens are nowhere near as interesting as the live ones.

Good luck with your efforts.
Ciao
brianO

Mo Vaughan

Post by Mo Vaughan »

Hey BJ many thanks for the information. I do see your point when you say the saved slides will deteriorate with time, and a new slide will show much more deffinition. Different with insect anatomy as these do last a while if correctly made.
I collected some water sample from out gutters and came accross these two which I can not find a name to put to them, so BJ again I am asking for your advise.
Good luck,
Many thanks for yopur help.
Mo
Thebeeman

Mo Vaughan

Post by Mo Vaughan »

Hey BJ many thanks for the information. I do see your point when you say the saved slides will deteriorate with time, and a new slide will show much more deffinition. Different with insect anatomy as these do last a while if correctly made.
I collected some water sample from our gutters and came accross these two which I can not find a name to put to them, so BJ again I am asking for your advise.
Good luck,
Many thanks for yopur help.
Mo
Thebeeman

BJ

Post by BJ »

OK Mo...this time I give in!
I haven't got a clue.
But I can guarantee someone in the forum knows or can have a good guess. If not all I can suggest is you stay out of the gutter!

Good Luck
BrianO

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic