Reopening saved images in Helicon for further retouching

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

cactuspic

Reopening saved images in Helicon for further retouching

Post by cactuspic »

In a prior post, Rik had commented about editing Helicon images by using the retouching function. In short, the retouching function allows you to go to a specific slice and transfer information from that slice to the composite. In this function, Helicon maintains the image registration. Rik bemoaned the fact that other imaging software, such as PS does not maintain such registration, often making it difficult if not impossible to make certain edits outside of Helicon. Once you close Helicon, there is no straightforward way to get back in and perform the edits on a saved project.

Unfortunately, my computer was balky and would often blow off Helicon before I could complete my edits. Since I invest a great deal of time eking out the details by transferring information from the individual slice to composite, all my work would be lost unless I could periodically save my changes and reopen that file in Helicon. I have had to learn to trick Helicon into allowing me edit images that I have closed. The principle is simple: run an abbreviated stack (not for content but for registration purposes), substitute in the information contained in the prior composite, and then make your modifications. The actual steps are as follows:

1. Add the slices you previously used and composite image using the add command

2 Set up an abbreviated run by using the first, middle and last slice in the series. Click on the green check mark and turn it into a red X for the composite and all the other slices. Run the shortened stack. (If the size change is between images is too great for the program to handle you may have to add several interstitial slices.)

3. After the composite is completed you may use the red check items for editing purposes. Copy over the new composite with the results from the first composite.

4. You are now working on the original composite with all of the slices registered.

Hope that is helpful.

Irwin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This looks like it will be very helpful. I'll give it a shot next time I have a stack.

Thanks much!

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic