INTOVA FIBER OPTIC CABLE FOR PX21 FLASH

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

augusthouse

INTOVA FIBER OPTIC CABLE FOR PX21 FLASH

Post by augusthouse »

I'm trying to workout what is going on with this gizmo.

Is anyone familiar with the concept?

Item description:

New Intova PX25 Fiber Optic Cable designed specifically for the INTOVA PX21 flash. Helps reduce back scatter in ultra clear water and where the flash on the camera may not activate the slave sensor on the PX21 flash. Easy velcro attachment for strobe activation.

I understand the back scatter aspect in regard to underwater photography; what I am curious about is whether the small, lightweight, white section in the foreground is where the 'flash' is emitted or does is it serve merely as an activator?

eBay item:310013611148

Craig

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Craig,

See http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... _PX21.html .

On that page, there is a "Pixtreme Fiber Optic Sync Cable for Pixtreme External Flash PX21". The "more info" link takes you to a page that says "This Pixtreme Fiber Optic Sync Cable is used to connect the sensor of an Pixtreme PX21 flash to a camera or housing. When the camera's internal flash fires the cable will fire the external flash. // Mfr# PX25"

I'm not sure exactly what goes where, but this device sounds like it's just a "fibered remote" designed to work in an environment where there's not enough reflection from the environment to trigger the slave flash, and radio won't work either. One end probably fits up near the camera's flash, and the other one goes on the trigger sensor of the slave.

BTW, the eBay Buy-It-Now price of $22 is $5 more than what B&H wants. I think this is another example of a large seller using eBay as a marketing tool rather than an actual auction site. I spent a few extra bucks on a halogen fiber illuminator that way. :(

--Rik

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Craig,

I believe the purpose is to fire a slaved UW strobe when the water is so clear the sensor on the slaved strobe can't pick up any "back"reflection from the camera flash and won't fire. The translucent white part is over the camera flash and then the small f/o sends a bit of it to the remote flash sensor so that it will fire.

That's my guess... but then the closest I've been to underwater photography lately is when left I left a compact flash card in my pocket and accidentally sent it through the washer (and dryer!) :cry:

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Looks like Rik can type faster than I can... beat me by about 5 minutes! :wink:

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Thanks guys. That sorts it.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic