www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - The Hubble Space Telescope? No its BPAE
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Hubble Space Telescope? No its BPAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: The Hubble Space Telescope? No its BPAE Reply with quote

Leitz Ortholux
Darkfield
Leitz D1.20A condenser
10XGF projection eyepiece plus 1/3X relay lens
Canon 10D
CombineZM, Photoshop

Top image:
Leitz 25X Apo
Four images @ 60 seconds each

Middle image:
Leitz 40X Apo
6 images @ 120 seconds each

Bottom image:
Leitz 95X Fl oil @ NA 1.10
10 images @ 240 seconds each

After a long absence from this forum I return with some images of a slide provided to me for being a participant in the 2007 Olympus Bioscape contest. Labeled BPAE for Bovine Pulmonary Artery it is completely transparent. In brightfield it was a disappointment, but in darkfield a multitude of these arterial cells are revealed.

I don’t know what the small particles are that appear like stars, but they give the overall appearance of the subject a Hubble Space telescope image likeness.

Happy Holidays to all my forum friends.

Walt
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice pictures, Walt!

I got one of those slides too, but I couldn't see a dang thing in brightfield. My scope doesn't have darkfield built in and I didn't even think to try it.

Now that I have thought of it, I don't think I'll do it -- whatever I might see would be a disappointment after these lovely shots!

--Rik

PS. I see the BioScapes 2007 results are posted (here). I was pleased to see that Wim Van Egmund placed a couple of images, but at least on quick scan, that was the only name I recognized. Congratulations to Wim! Very Happy
augusthouse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BioScapes!

It makes you think doesn't it...

What you see under a microscope is like a reflection of what you see when you turn a telescope on the heavens? Is there a signature there???

BioScapes are also sending out free copies of the 2007 poster.
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does have a nebulous appearance, maybe the bright spots are fat gobules or proteins, though I am only guessing. Great shots there Walt and Happy Holidays! Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The white dots sure do give it a "sci-fi" celestial amoeba look.

Hope to see you put a few more micro shots over here this winter Walt. Your myxo shots in the other group have been amazing!
Walter Piorkowski

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the complement Rik and you are also correct in maybe not trying the darkfierld yourself. There is very little contrast and at higher magnifications (at least with my set up) the image is very dim. I resorted to photography to see the details.

Charles, glad you like the myxo images and by the way congratulations on winning more slots in the latest Nikon small world contest.

Walt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: