Testing a Raynox DCR-150 Close-up lens on my camera.

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

WalterD

Testing a Raynox DCR-150 Close-up lens on my camera.

Post by WalterD »

As a bit of upcoming holiday preparation, my goal was to get more familiar with the macro settings my Canon Powershot G3x camera has to offer.
In order not to loose too much time on figuring out how this camera actually works upon arrival.
To beef up the macro performance I got me a Raynox DCR-150 close-up l lens and added it to the existing (zoom) lens; this was very easy with the adapter included in the kit.
To me a completely new discovery, Without doubt many forum members have been using this lens for many years in all kinds of setups.

Very happy with the results. Actually saw pollen, the facet eyes and many other details of insects and lichen details I previously discovered in a microscope setup.
All and all a bit like carrying a low power microscope with you everywhere, hidden in your camera. With the advantage to see the items in their natural habitat, light and natural behaviour.
(and preferably without wind or strong sunlight)

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Those are very nice pictures. I am enjoying the soft out of focus backgrounds as well. This opens a world of adventure and learning. Have fun!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

WalterD

Post by WalterD »

Hi Mark,

Good to hear that. The soft focus is indeed not disturbing, contrary to that a pleasant part of the image. Focus stacking is nice, but should not be a mantra i.m.o.

I realized that not all the detail I could see was reproduced in the 1024 pixel pics I posted, therefore I added 2 crops (not of the actual pixel size exactly, though) to show the difference between my actual pictures and the detail visible in this forum. As you see there's noise in the fly eye, this might be resolved by using some kind of reflector (to reflect the sunlight).Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic