Laowa introduces 100mm f/2.8 2x Macro APO

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Laowa introduces 100mm f/2.8 2x Macro APO

Post by Chris S. »

Looks intriguing: Laowa introduces 100mm f/2.8 2x Macro APO
  • 100mm f/2.8 lens
    Magnification from infinity through 2X
    Covers full-frame DSLR sensors
    Available in Canon, Nikon, and Sony mounts
    $450 USD
I hope someone good will give this a thorough review. A 100mm "standard macro" lens that goes to 2X could find a place in many bags--especially if the "apo" designation is well-warranted.

--Chris S.

--fixed typo
Last edited by Chris S. on Mon May 06, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Price-wise, it's a direct competitor to the Tokina 100mm macro.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Is there a Tokina macro that goes to 2X? The only ones I know stop at 1x. So far as I know, this Laowa lens is the first lens in the 100mm range that goes from infinity to 2x.

If quality is maintained down to 2X, without too much shortening of focal length and with decent working distance (three unknowns, at present), this could give the Laowa a leg up on every lens of its type of which I'm aware. My micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF-D has been a workhorse for 23 years, but a lens with double the maximum magnification (effectively quartering the minimum field of view) would tempt me greatly.

--Chris S.

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Just note the lens do differ depending on the mount. For example, the aperture of Canon version is controlled by the electronic motor in the lens.

I would buy a MFT mount if the lens was AF, to use with Post Focus. No MFT mount at present.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I really love my 60mm so the 100mm sounds like it will be worth checking out. Many of my best walkaround macro and portrait shots were taken with the 60mm. Hope the 100mm has the same "look" to it...

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That's very exciting, especially if it really is an apo lens. I like the Laowa 2.5-5x lens very much. This would be a great companion for it.

Edit: I just looked at the slanted-ruler test for LoCA on their website, and it really has no LoCA. That is very impressive.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

TheDocAUS wrote:Just note the lens do differ depending on the mount. For example, the aperture of Canon version is controlled by the electronic motor in the lens.
That particular difference seems necessary for the lens to work with Canon cameras. A less obviously-necessitated difference between versions is the number of aperture blades: "9 (Canon), 7 (Nikon), 13 (Sony FE)." As a Nikon shooter, I'm a bit put off by this, as bokeh is important both to macro and portraiture; if I'm traveling light and don't bring a dedicated portrait lens, I use my 105mm macro for portraits. And generally, more aperture blades is one ingredient for better bokeh, especially when there are bright spots out of focus behind the subject. But I'll wait and see. (I do wonder why the different mounts necessitated different numbers of aperture blades, but suspect Laowa's engineers had good reasons.)

I just noticed that the Laowa page for this lens includes a stacked shot by our own John Hallmèn. Wonder if he is at liberty to comment?

--Chris S.

Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Ever since the first images of this lens were distributed I've been marveling that no one has commented on the DOF markings. Will the production lenses be the same? :!:

Not to mention the curious approach to marking distances in feet.

dickb

Post by dickb »

Steve S wrote:Ever since the first images of this lens were distributed I've been marveling that no one has commented on the DOF markings. Will the production lenses be the same? :!:
You mean te apparent descrepancy between the spacing of the DoF markers and the relatively short focus throw? It is unlikely that at f/11 a 100mm lens would have a DoF of say 40cm to infinity.
Last edited by dickb on Tue May 07, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

dickb wrote:It is unlikely that at f/11 a 100mm lens would have a DoF of say 40cm to infinity.
Um, yeah. https://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html calculates that even on FF (CoC=0.03mm), f/11 and 100 mm has a hyperfocal distance of 97 feet, sharp from 48.5 feet to infinity. Perhaps a particularly egregious units problem?

--Rik

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

rjlittlefield wrote:
dickb wrote:It is unlikely that at f/11 a 100mm lens would have a DoF of say 40cm to infinity.
Um, yeah. https://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html calculates that even on FF (CoC=0.03mm), f/11 and 100 mm has a hyperfocal distance of 97 feet, sharp from 48.5 feet to infinity. Perhaps a particularly egregious units problem?

--Rik
Mayhaps those are just decorations 8)
- Rane

TheDocAUS

Post by TheDocAUS »

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

What's the big diference to the 60mm 2:1 unit they have?
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I see the reviewer noticed the depth-of-field marks. He politely calls them "generous"....

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

here's another review:
https://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos ... aowa100f28

maybe surprising is the rather high vignetting at 2.8 (over 2EV) and also that this review finds resolution peaking at F5.6 (maybe because they measured at lower magnification)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic