Image posting problem (resolved)

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

microcollector

Image posting problem (resolved)

Post by microcollector »

I have been trying to post an image to the Photos Through the Microscope forum and have not been able to do it. I keep getting "image type JPEG not supported" I was attempting to put up the first photo I had taken with my new D300. The stack was done in TIFF format and processed in Helicon Focus. I then opened it in Photo Shop CS2 to make some minor adjustments and to add the scale bar. When done, I used the save for web function to downsize the image and covert to a .jpg image format. Thinking it might have something to do with the D300 images, I tried some of my older images taken with the D50 and got the same result. The image physical size in pixels and KB is within the parameters for posting images. What's wrong?

[Edit: by admins, to change title]
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

I am not sure but instead of "Save to Web," try "Save As" instead, when converting back to jpeg. :D

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Doug,

This is a puzzling problem. The forum software is set to allow upload of datatypes image/jpg , image/jpeg , and image/pjpeg . I tested just now and it worked fine for me using a .jpg created with 'Save to Web".

I wonder if this is a browser issue. I searched through the forum software and could not find anything that would produce exactly the message you're quoting.

Can you please
1) be sure that you're quoting the exact message that you're getting back, and
2) try the upload from a different browser if you have one?

Thanks!

--Rik

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

Rik,

The datatype JPEG File is not supported.

This a copy and paste of the message I get when trying to upload a photo. Everything I see on this end indicates that the file is tagged as a .jpg. I have been using IE7 since at least February and have not had any problems until yesterday. I also upload photos to Mindat.org and Strahlen.org. They only accept .jpg files and the photo I tried to upload here uploaded to those sites with no problems.

Mindat.org also uses php for its bulletin board while Strahlen.org uses SFM 1.1.4.
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Hhmm... Still puzzling.

There have been no changes to the forum software for months. That exact message is one that looks like it comes from the forum upload software, at the point where it compares the file type provided by the browser with the list of file types that is supported by the software.

There may be an upper/lower case issue, though what would have changed to create that, I have no idea. I tried simply using files with upper case extensions .JPG and .JPEG, but those uploaded with no problems using IE6. I don't have IE7 installed, so I can't test with that. Possibly one of Microsoft's system security patches gone awry? (When in doubt, suggest that Microsoft is responsible...) Or maybe some other plugin or application install that changed the association between file extension and upload datatype.

In any case, it's pretty safe to assume that if you're having trouble, somebody else will soon.

I have changed the forum's upload configuration to explicitly permit upper case file types as well, and also "JPEG File". If you read the upload dialog carefully, you should see that change.

Can you try again please, and let me know what happens?

Thanks much,
--Rik

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

Rik,

I just attemptted to upload several photos taken over the past year with no luck. I received the following message.

Image could not be uploaded.

DEBUG MODE

Line : 132
File : uploadpic.php

I did check the file name string in the box after selecting the image and prior to selecting upload. Every file ended with .jpg in lower case. I am thinking that the software I loaded to support the D300 maybe at fault. I will have to get out my laptop, which does not have that software on it, and see if I have the same problem with it.

Doug

My Mindat Mineral Photos

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

microcollector wrote:I am thinking that the software I loaded to support the D300 maybe at fault. I will have to get out my laptop, which does not have that software on it, and see if I have the same problem with it.
Could be. Googling for "datatype jpeg file" gets only a couple of hits, neither in English, but one translatable from Italian does specifically mention Nikon.

The message that you are now seeing comes from a place in the code that does a second check on the file type. This one is not so easy to change, so I would like to know for sure what is going on before I spend time trying to fix it.

If you are comfortable searching your Registry, some insight might come from looking for "JPEG File", since that is the mime-type that is apparently being provided by IE on upload.

It might be worth trying Firefox as well. I gather that it uses a different method to determine mime-type.

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

We have had D300 pictures uploaded on PlanetNikon OK. I will post a link to here and see if any new D300 users have had your trouble. But the camera, and presumably the software with it is not that common yet.

However you say you now have the same trouble with the D50?

DaveW

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Dave, the problem would not be "with the D50", but rather with how the browser now treats all .jpg files.

For some reason, Doug's browser is now labeling .jpg files as datatype "JPEG File" instead of just "jpg", "jpeg", or "pjpeg" as it used to do.

The software for different forums use the datatype in different ways so the effect is different from forum to forum. Many of them do not use it at all so there's no problem with them.

The forum software that we use (phpBB version 2) does not provide upload in its standard form. Our upload capability is provided with a third-party mod that seems to be quite picky about what it will accept.

Comments surrounding the check indicate that it's protecting against some sort of malware attack, so I'm reluctant to muck about casually.

--Rik

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

Rik

I just tried my laptop which also has IE7 installed and had no problem uploading a photo. I did not actually post it as the laptop does not have any suitable photos on it present. The image did show up in the preview mode and resized to fit the criteria of the board.

I will have to look at the Nikon Capture Pro 2 and the Nikon Capture NX as the most likey causes of the problem.

The problem effects all photos I have on my desktop, those taken with the D300, D50, Olympus C700, Nikon Coolpix 5200, and an old Fuji.

Thanks for your help and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Doug

My Mindat Mineral Photos

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I gathered Doug thought it was after loading the software that came with the D300 it occurred though Rik, so I was seeing if anybody else had had similar problems. As you know the camera manufacturers change their encryption virtually every camera so until the independents adapt their RAW converters to deal with it you are stuck with what comes with the camera for a time.

Nikon's processing software does have a well known nasty habit of substituting it's RAW converter for Adobe's without asking your permission, if you install it on top of existing Adobe processing software. If you want Adobe's RAW converter back you then have to go into Adobe and disable Nikon's RAW converter. It is OK if you install Nikon's first and then Adobe on top of it, but not the other way around.

I was wondering if something similar may have happened to change things?

I am not a computer bod however.

DaveW

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

Dave,

The photos from the D300 were shoot in TIFF as Helicon Focus choked and shut down when I tried to compile RAW images. I have tried both the TIFF and JPEG outputs from Helicon Focus with the same results when attemptting to post here. As mentioned earlire, the other two sites I post to have not had a problem. The images from the other camera were all shoot in JPEG and now won't load.

Doug

My Mindat Mineral Photos

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

Rik,

It appears that Capture NX has associated itself with all the phto files on my computer. There must be something about the NX version of JPEG that this site does not like. This is the only difference I have found so far between my desktop and laptop.

Doug

My Mindat Mineral Photos

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

At this point it seems pretty clear that not only did NX associate itself with all the usual extensions, but it also installed a non-standard mime-type ("JPEG File" versus "jpeg") that is changing the browser's behavior.

No doubt this will cause more problems in the future, so I'll try to work up a fix. I'll contact Doug to continue the discussion by email. No sense cluttering up the forum with what will most likely be some amount of thrashing around for a while.

--Rik

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Told you Nikon processing software tended to take over if installed last.

Hope you can alter the files back, but I don't know if they will in fact revert if you remove Capture NX.

All I could find on the Web was this:-

"First of all, Capture NX is still a RAW converter targeted at Nikon camera owners. It accepts NEF files from digital cameras for demosiacing and developing. As with other converters you change virtually all image aspects after taking the photo: white balance, exposure, colour, sharpness etc. Nothing new here. NX does not accept NEFs from a Nikon scanner it, does not support RAW images from non-Nikon cameras, you cannot put in DNGs. But you can put in TIFF and JPEG, you can even work on them non-destructively, as if they were NEFs!

Actually any TIFF or JPEG you work on non-destructively will have to be saved as an NEF. Obviously Nikon wants to push its own format as an alternative to Adobe’s DNG. Unfortunately the resultant NEF is not the same NEF as one created by, say, a Nikon D2x, which means you cannot convert it to DNG. If that was possible Adobe’s format could really become the new standard image format. Image editing would surely be totally different from the Photoshop paradigm."

Strange as the D2x is still a current camera, so could it be Nikon has changed it's method of saving images and put a converter in the new software to change the old ones, as usual without asking permission?

Possibly Nikon tried this on most sites but had no trouble, because it seems that Photomacrography is one of the few rejecting it. The problem is this could be the form all Nikon software derived images take in future?

Anyway here's the ideas my post on a Nikon forum turned up:-

http://www.planetnikon.com/forums/index ... c=7530&hl=

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic