Labophot light source

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Saul

Post by Saul »

iconoclastica wrote:...Hey, but this now is an optiphot..?
Yeh, like Russians are saying - hands are too short :) Too many projects ...
What is broken on your piece ? Faceplates are interchangeable - Labophot, Optiphot, Metaphot, etc.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Saul, I am curious about your 3d-printing experience too. I work as volunteer manager in a community workshop that does 3d-printing, laser-cutting, and such things. When people come there asking whether their designs may be printed and they come up with something like this lamphouse, I would discuss it with them.
For designs that, to simplify my thinking, could be mocked up out of cut-out sheets of cardboard can be made much faster and easier by laser-cutting e.g. acrylic sheets or mdf. This material has better heat resistance and the process is much more reliable than the still rather capricious 3d-printers. Another advantage is that when it doesn't fit as previewed, just one of the parts needs to be cut again, instead of sitting out a few hours for another 3d-print.

But perhaps your printshop uses printers that are faster and more reliable than ours? That's why I am so curious.

-- Wim
--- felix filicis ---

Saul

Post by Saul »

iconoclastica wrote:can be made much faster and easier by laser-cutting e.g. acrylic sheets or mdf
Wim, some simple things - yes, but this model (I think) is too complex
But perhaps your printshop uses printers that are faster and more reliable than ours?
Hmm, my printshop is in my laundry room 8) ...
Faster ? This model (0.1mm, 60 infill, 40 speed), runs ~ 15h.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

I yield, nothing can beat the printer in your own laundry room :P. Time is not a factor then and once you get to know it well, you'll achief good results.
this model (I think) is too complex
Funny... I would put that the other way round. I made similar things - the epi-lamphouse for the optiphot with 3d-positionable back wall, for example - and cut it. Even not considering the heat of the lamp, I wouldn't have dreamed of printing such a thing.

The machine that one uses most often soon starts to shape the imagination used in the design process. It's rather obvious in our workshop: people who often do laser- cutting think in flat pieces put together and those that do a lot of 3d-printing start thinking along those lines. Using both myself, I am getting better results with the former (and try to solve my design problems that way).

-- Wim
--- felix filicis ---

Saul

Post by Saul »

iconoclastica wrote:I yield, nothing can beat the printer in your own laundry room :P. Time is not a factor then and once you get to know it well, you'll achief good results.
this model (I think) is too complex
Funny... I would put that the other way round. I made similar things - the epi-lamphouse for the optiphot with 3d-positionable back wall, for example - and cut it. Even not considering the heat of the lamp, I wouldn't have dreamed of printing such a thing.

The machine that one uses most often soon starts to shape the imagination used in the design process. It's rather obvious in our workshop: people who often do laser- cutting think in flat pieces put together and those that do a lot of 3d-printing start thinking along those lines. Using both myself, I am getting better results with the former (and try to solve my design problems that way).

-- Wim
I have 0% experience in the laser cutting, so I have to trust you :) ...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic