The Beauty of dragons: Hunting the dragonhunter

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

The Beauty of dragons: Hunting the dragonhunter

Post by MarkSturtevant »

One of my favorite parks has a river that sustains a diverse population of dragonflies and damselflies. This is also one of the locations where one can sometimes see the dragonhunter dragonfly. The dragonhunter (Hagenius brevistylus) is a species that is rather coveted by Odonatophiles. They are the largest of our dragonflies in the clubtail family, and it is I think pretty much the largest dragonfly in my area. Dragonflies are popularly considered to be mosquito hunters, but this species is ill-equipped for such small prey. No, they instead take larger insects, including other dragonflies, and their very name expresses a recognition of that.
During August of last summer I came across a huge female dragonhunter, but I could not photograph her. But I kept returning to the same place and was eventually rewarded with a male that landed on a twig nearby. I managed to get the first picture (which is heavily cropped), but then he flew off. Dragonflies have favorite perches, and so it seemed reasonable that this fellow would return. I only had to wait, and perhaps be a bit lucky.
ImageDragonhunter dragonfly! by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

I hung out for about an hour, and during that time he would occasionally cruise by while on long patrols. It was perhaps a phalanx of canoers that did the trick, since when they passed through the big dragon came right after, following in their wake. It seemed that the people had disturbed it farther up river, and it came my way. This time it showed a keen interest in landing on the twig again, and presently it did. Heart pounding, I went to work taking numerous pictures.
After a time, I worked up the courage to venture out into the river to attempt a side view of this prize. The current was brisk, but the water was shallow and the bottom was firm and sandy. I was of course very careful as I was carrying about $2500 of gear on me. But things worked out very well. In time I was even able to sit in the water next to the dragonhunter so that I could rest the lens on my knees while taking pictures. He proved to be very content and cooperative. In the end, it was I who retreated while he stayed on his perch.
ImageDragonhunter dragonfly by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr
ImageDragonhunter dragonfly by Mark Sturtevant, on Flickr

What an awesome insect! You just never know what you will find during these adventures!
Paulson's field guide Dragonflies and Damselflies of the East describes how their over-sized legs cause them to grip onto perches in the manner shown above, and he adds: "seeming awkward, too large for perch." Yep, that is him!
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Wow, great story and find! Congratulations for your patience and skill.

I must admit that I was relieved to find out what your post title meant. I had imagined you were the dragonhunter, and someone or something was hunting YOU!

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Nice storytelling and pictures!
- Rane

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic