Jumping Spider scores a meal

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lyndajchan

Jumping Spider scores a meal

Post by lyndajchan »

I love jumping spiders; in fact, I have a Lucas from the YouTube series. Anyway, I came home one evening to see a little fella on my kitchen counter, and lo and behold, he had something. A careful closer look and it was a mosquito (yay on many counts now). What followed was a quiet frenzy to get my camera, a flashlight and a kid to hold it so I could get a shot before he decided to skidaddle (the spider, not the kid). Got the kid and the light into position, lined up my camera, and got this shot. Obviously, I was pleased. And I know that while my kitchen counter isn't exactly nature, it was neither a studio nor posed shot, so I figure this was the place to post it. After all, it was his domain :)
Shot with Canon 7D Mark II, 70-200mm, at f/100, 1/400 sec, ISO 640.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

Good job and funny report of the situation.
I think the ones I have here, in the walls of the apartment building are very similar to yours... they are tinny and even using a small sensor micro 4/3 , 1:1 is not enough to fill the frame decently. Also leave me very frustrated as they don't stay still a split second.
Do't you get very envious (like me) of those lucky people in some countries who have jumping spiders big like cows ? :)

António

lyndajchan

Post by lyndajchan »

Ahaha, thank you, António. Yes, this one is very small! I have seen a black one that was 2 - 3 times larger! He was just outside, living on our deck area. Quite shiny. I tried to get a photo of him, but he retreated into a crack in the wood of the rail.

As much as I love 'em, I don't think cow-sized jumping spiders would end well for us :)

Hope you'll get a good shot of one yourself!
Lynda

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very nice! And stories that go with the picture are always a plus.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

THIS IS DISGUSTING...
said all the jumping spider who saw the video...

http://vt.co/animals/stories/woman-disc ... uGOVYQvyV8
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic