A quick look into the Natural History Museum

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ChrisR
Site Admin

A quick look into the Natural History Museum

Post by ChrisR »

...found Mitutoyo 5x and 10x objectives being used on one of these as a "tube" lens.
The actual lens shown was getting sloppy so it was replaced with the later model, whose box is shown, with no apparent change in image quality. Surprisingly to me they only vignette on APS at about 135mm. Though it's quite strongly, bugs don't tend to have square corners. 135 to 300 is of course a very good range

Cameras are Canon APS such as 750D or 800D, which last about 10 months, then they are replaced under warranty. One subsequent dead shutter was replaced for £120.

This operator was running 50 stacks a day of tiny wasps, all new to science. 2000 species to go.

To me the quality looked good enough.
Chris R

abednego1995

Post by abednego1995 »

Great info, the BMNH?

Professional focus stackers must eat into profits of those camera makers!
Another piece of evidence to go after electronic shutters for this kind of work...

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

The 75-200 behaves the same at 135mm. The zoom-length is recorded in the exif, so even when you're careless the magnification still can be reconstructed.

Weird critter, that wasp!

Wim
--- felix filicis ---

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Interesting post Chris, thanks of sharing this one!

Parasitic wasps are something else!

While photographing in Malaysia a couple years ago with my wife, I noticed little hitchhikers on some damsels I was photographing. I took some reference images and later looked them up.

Turns out they were parasitic fairyflies or fairy wasps that live underwater and latch onto the damsels when they touch the water to disperse their eggs. Some fairy wasps are the world's smallest known insects with a body length of only 0.0055 in. and the smallest known flying insect.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic