Comparison: Linos Inspec.x 105mm f/4 VS 105mm f/5.6

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Comparison: Linos Inspec.x 105mm f/4 VS 105mm f/5.6

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Here's a comparison between the two lenses. The photos were taken by William at Wemacro. I am posting these with his permission.

Qioptiq claims that the f/5.6 and f/4 versions are suitable for 5um and 4um sensors respectively. On their webpage however, they claim both (and the float version) are suitable for 5um sensors. The f/4 version boasts a resolving capability of 2um sensors. They both also have a large image circle of 82mm.

There's many magnifications available, so be careful when shopping around. Most of these come out of China, so make sure there's a good return policy as well.

Although the /f/5.6 version is marked for lower magnifications, there's text on the barrel displaying the magnification achieved with respect to the mounting direction. The 105mm f/5.6 here is optimised for 0.33x, when mounting in reverse, one obtains the reciprocal of that figure, which is 3x. Whether the lens is optimised for reversing or not is probably a mystery. The Nikon Rayfact 95mm is optimised for both mounting directions, illustrated in their specification sheets.

Taken from their website:
The four variants of the inspec.x L 5.6/105 are optimized for magnifications of 0.33x, 0.5x, 0.76x and 1x respectively. The V-Groove interface at both ends of the lens enables adjustment to the best azimuth position and use of the lens in retro position for magnifications up to 3x. All lenses feature lockable iris and are engineered for the use in harsh industrial environment.
The inspec.x L 4.0/105 Series is the perfect match for modern, high –resolution 12k/5µm and 16k/5µm cameras for applications that require extremely high resolution. Three different magnifications of 3x, 3.5x and 5x are available. All three magnifications can also be ordered in a version this is optimized for a prism beamsplitter on the object side for coaxial illumination.
Qioptic also claims a very low distortion percentage, <0.2%. This usually means the system to measure distortion can only examine differences down to 0.2%.

The setup:
7 M65 50mm tubes, one 20mm tube, and a focusing helicoid. These connect to a shiny v-groove adaptor. That adaptor looks flimsy, I won't trust it as far as I can toss it... Tubes have been flocked.

So let's see...370mm+x=? That's a lot tubes.

Results:
Made a mistake in the title, supposed to be 0.33x. Full resolution here: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7886/402 ... 7195_o.jpg

Individual exposures:
f/4.0: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7920/323 ... 0c21_o.jpg
f/5.6: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7878/463 ... ba69_o.jpg

Observations:
- f/4.0 colours are more saturated.
- Framing changes slightly when swapping the lenses.
- Overall, f/4.0 has more resolution. The exposures are crisper.
- Both lenses are extremely flat, no observable distortion.
- Edge to edge sharpness.
- Ridiculously long amount of tubing is required!

Improvements:
- The v-groove adaptor seems to be flimsy, of poor quality.
- No control group. Would be great to see how these Linos lenses compare to say the standard Canon MP-E.

Antal

Post by Antal »

I guess this is the reversed 105 5.6 0,33x configuration comparing to the 105 4.0 3x?
Whats the camera modell? Pixelsize and image circle?

Looks not so bad to me.
Highlights have a lot of flare. Could be ev. reduced by some lens shading. WD is 34mm for the 105 4.0, wich is surprisingly few for a 105mm? For the float version the WD is 99mm at 3X!

4.0 is better for shure, but costs 1000$ more on the used market..

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Antal wrote:I guess this is the reversed 105 5.6 0,33x configuration comparing to the 105 4.0 3x?

Looks not so bad to me.
Highlights have a lot of flare. Could be ev. reduced by some lens shading. WD is 34mm for the 105 4.0, wich is surprisingly few for a 105mm? For the float version the WD is 99mm at 3X!

Yeah it was reversed to achieve 3x. Lots of improvements could have been made for sure. William is quite busy so I'd rather not get him to do another set of photos. The f/4 version doesn't belong to him.

As for camera specs, I'll ask him and update the post. The f/4 is great but it's certainly not $800+ extra great, in my opinion. It's worth looking into the 105/5.6 Linos lenses with lower magnification.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Antal wrote:I guess this is the reversed 105 5.6 0,33x configuration comparing to the 105 4.0 3x?

Looks not so bad to me.

Yeah it was reversed to achieve 3x. Lots of improvements could have been made for sure. William is quite busy so I'd rather not get him to do another set of photos. The f/4 version doesn't belong to him.

As for camera specs, I'll ask him and update the post. The f/4 is great but it's certainly not $800+ extra great, in my opinion. It's worth looking into the 105/5.6 Linos lenses with lower magnification.
These have been on eBay a couple of times for only $200-300 for samples from China with a tiny coating damage marks. I passed on these just because of the extension requirements but looking back now that was a pretty nice deal for $200.

Robert

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic