www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - An early Christmas present for Rik
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
An early Christmas present for Rik

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: An early Christmas present for Rik Reply with quote

I thought some of you might enjoy these pictures of a Christmas present that I received a bit early this year.

The story here is that my Dad delights in working with his hands and his tools. His latest hobby is marquetry, an artistic form of woodworking in which wood veneer is cut and pieced together to make pictures and patterns. A few months ago, I was admiring some of the cabinet fronts and boxes that he had made for my Mom, and I asked if perchance he might enjoy making one for me too. (OK, actually I did the old begging-puppy imitation.) Sure, he said, but what did I want it to fit and what sort of picture did I want on the lid? Well, as it happens, I'd been thinking that my collection of Olympus bellows macro lenses needed a nice place to live, and for that matter why just the lenses? And for the lid, what better than my beloved butterflies, which had provided not only many hours of entertainment, but also funded a good chunk of college, more years ago than I'd like to admit.

So here we have it -- the genuine one-of-a-kind Olympus bellows macro collection Gift Box.

I hope you enjoy these pictures as much as I do the box. Very Happy

Design and craftmanship by Kenneth Littlefield. Thanks, Dad!

--Rik
Ken Ramos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is really nice! Surprised I could think of many uses for something like that. As you have it for camera lenses, microscope objective collections came immediately to mind, or polished rock and gem collections. That is something that can be handed down through generations. It must have taken some time to make with all the intricate wood work. Indeed it is something cherish through the years Rik. Very Happy
However, while there is grace where in all that I might live, while there is still breath in my being, while I may or may not accomplish anything more in life than to be living, I shall reflect upon the past, applying it to the present, for to possibly perceive to a near certainty, the outcome of the future.

Ken 2014
JoanYoung

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is "WOW!! DON"T YOU WANT TO SWAP DAD'S??" Very Happy

This is really wonderful workmanship Rik, and as Ken says, something which you can be proud of and can be handed to the next generation. There is nothing better than present which is hand-made and made with love too. Smile
salden

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik

This is beautiful. You dad is very talented and this is something to cherish and pass down for generations.
rjlittlefield
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all!

Yes, this is a beautiful piece of work. I am very pleased to be able to share it with you. Very Happy

--Rik
jmlphoto

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is just awesome, some real fine skills right there.
Planapo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a skillfully made piece of craftsmanship!

Well, they say 'like father, like son'. And yes, both the Littlefields seem to do the things they do with great dedication and devotion what, together with talent, leads to great successful results in the end.

And besides, it´s always nice to hear of harmonious family life, especially at this time of the year.

Best wishes,
Betty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: