High-end 1x Lens Test: Looking for Suggestions Please

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

JLyle wrote:This seems to be the thread where lens performance at 1x is being discussed. I just had my camera body macro lens stolen. Was wondering if anyone here has shot the new 110mm Voigtlander or 150mm Irix. Performance near 1x is very important to me.

Lyle
Both of those lenses are in discussion here, but my sense is that no one contributing on this thread owns either lens. Perhaps Robert (the OP) will comment on whether he plans to include either of these lenses in his test.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

JLyle wrote:This seems to be the thread where lens performance at 1x is being discussed. I just had my camera body macro lens stolen. Was wondering if anyone here has shot the new 110mm Voigtlander or 150mm Irix. Performance near 1x is very important to me.

Lyle
Sorry to hear you had something stolen.

I sent off emails to Irix to get a loaner and got one response so hopefully I will have one.

Hope to have a 110mm APO-lanthar to test in May when I am back from traveling.

EBay usually has some unbelievable deals if you are patient. I have been lucky to find a Sigma 70mm macro new in the box for $200. There are good deals out there.

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Robert...do you plan on waiting for those lenses to complete the 1x test report, or will we be treated to an interim report with later follow-up?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Robert...do you plan on waiting for those lenses to complete the 1x test report, or will we be treated to an interim report with later follow-up?
Hi Ray,

Wish I could publish something now but I am backed up like you wouldn't believe. I am only back from Alaska this last weekend and I am FL next week, than So Africa the week after and only back in SoCal the first week in May. Wish I had the time to run something to show before I go.

For the 1x test I left the lighting setup as shot so I can add the lenses that are left to go, the Sigma 70 Art, Voigtlander 110 and Irix (hopefully).

I have a nice surprise for the 1x test, its a combo of stacked cheap lenses that looks to be a nice front runner for low $. I paid $9 and $12.5 and the sharpness is near the top.

Also, it sounds a little crazy but I have also finished shooting a 1.4x high-end optic test also waiting for the files to be processed so I can post them. That was Rayfact 1.4x VL, SK Xenon-sapphire, Makro-Symmar 120 1.4x, Macro Varon of course, as seen below.

Also if thats not enough, I shot a medium format film scanner lens test, the Plustek 120, and I just need to process the files for that one also. Its a competitor for the Nikon 8000-9000 scanner on paper so I had high hopes for the lens and it is good but not in the Scanner Nikkor ED class.

I'm working as fast as I can but I can't seen to catch up :shock:

Thanks for asking Ray.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Hi Robert,

Awhile back I ran the PN105 with a Nikon TC-1.4 Teleconverter per Lou's suggestion to keep the PN105 at it's design point of 1X. Recall I found the result quite good at 1.4X, but some slight degradation beginning to show at 1.7X (with TC-1.7). Might be interesting to see how the PN105 with TC-1.4 compares?

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I had just wrote to Robert suggesting that!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mawyatt wrote:
Hi Robert,

Awhile back I ran the PN105 with a Nikon TC-1.4 Teleconverter per Lou's suggestion to keep the PN105 at it's design point of 1X. Recall I found the result quite good at 1.4X, but some slight degradation beginning to show at 1.7X (with TC-1.7). Might be interesting to see how the PN105 with TC-1.4 compares?

Best,
Hi Mike, thanks for the idea, and Lou too!

I agree, 1.4x does seem to be the best out of all of them, the 1.7x and 2x are not at the same IQ level from personal experience.

BTW, that Xenon-sapphire, a loaner, is a monster lens that creates beautiful clean images. The adapter that it comes with, not pictured, looks and feels like its made from a solid block of tungsten and alone it must cost more than the Makro Symmar next to it, typical German style over-engineering (and pricing).

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

RobertOToole wrote:
mawyatt wrote:
Hi Robert,

Best,
Hi Mike, thanks for the idea, and Lou too!

I agree, 1.4x does seem to be the best out of all of them, the 1.7x and 2x are not at the same IQ level from personal experience.

BTW, that Xenon-sapphire, a loaner, is a monster lens that creates beautiful clean images. The adapter that it comes with, not pictured, looks and feels like its made from a solid block of tungsten and alone it must cost more than the Makro Symmar next to it, typical German style over-engineering (and pricing).
Robert,

Agree with German engineering, well designed and expensive. Mechanical and optics are certainly their forte, but semiconductors & electronics don't seem to follow this trend IMO. Japan, US, Korea & China seem to be leading here.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic