Winter

Do you have a favorite location you like to photograph or collect specimens? Share these locations with your fellow members by submitting each location as a topic.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

gpmatthews

Winter

Post by gpmatthews »

Winter has come to the local mill pond, with ice, mistiness and freezing winds. Even so, I enjoyed the walk this afternoon:

Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

These are the kind of wintry things I remember from long ago. Things have pretty much changed now, being as I live within an isolated thermal boundry. One day its is hot the next its cold, rain then snow. One of the first things to come to mind though when I viewed your photograph, was the fact that under that ice, there are probably tons of protists, amoebae especially. I do not know about there in the UK but places like that here usually produce a bumper crop of organisms during the winter. I think the dissolved oxygen levels have something to do with it but I cannot be sure, protist seem not to need much in the way of oxygen from what I have read. :-k

Anyway quite a nice photograph there Graham, I enjoy winter walks also, despite the cold temperatures. Always take a thermos of hot coffee or tea with you. :wink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic