Cocoon

Earlier images, not yet re-categorized. All subject types. Not for new images.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Ken Ramos

Cocoon

Post by Ken Ramos »

I would be willing to bet that there is a moth in this thing. As most of you know I take lunchtime walks around the grounds where I work, so with things being scarce this time of year due to the seasonal change to winter, which is not to far away offically by the way, I decided to see what I could find that lay sleeping or resting until spring once more arrived.

I found this thing hanging suspened by a leaf stem which had been secured to a small limb or twig, by many turns of fine silk. Apparently it had been there for quite sometime, because the leaf which seemed to have been wrapped around the cocoon has long since deteriorated and so exposing the silken structure. It measures approximately 55mm in length and about 22mm at the middle, the girth I did not measure for I did not want to take the chance of squeezing or damaging the structure and for another reason stated below. 8-[

Removing the twig to which the cocoon was attached, I thought I would bring it home and place it in a glass jar with a few holes in the lid for circulation and see what would hatch. As I said previously, I bet there is a moth in there, a rather large one. After improvising a method of suspending the cocoon from the lid of the jar, I screwed the lid into place and set the jar aside on the window sill where a diffused amount of light could hit it. For a brief moment, what ever was in there was taking issue with its new home, for the cocoon began to vibrate violently for several minutes before quieting down. :roll:

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks and sounds like one of the silk moths. There are several species with quite different appearance in the adults. I will be very interested to see what comes out of this thing!

--Rik

PS. You're right -- that vigorous rattling is a good sound. :)

But I'd recommend keeping the cocoon in an unheated place. At room temperature, it's likely to emerge in the dead of winter, or not at all if its schedule gets messed up enough. :(

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

You know that thought crossed my mind. :-k It is supposed to get down into the low 20's tonight, to think I would put it out on a night like that. :shock: I could get arrested for moth abuse and then it would go to a Foster Home. But, then again, Foster would probably take good care of it. But you are right, though. Changing its environment could mess up the life cycle. I suppose I will sit it out on the porch. :wink:

Thanks Rik :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic