Collector lens for microscope flash setup

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

viktor j nilsson

Collector lens for microscope flash setup

Post by viktor j nilsson »

As I've mentioned in the Zeiss DIC thread, I picked up a bunch of Nikon reflected DIC Nomarski prisms with the hope of getting some sort of DIC-on-the-cheap working on my Wild M20 - Nikon CF frankenscope (described here: http://www.microbehunter.com/microscopy ... =24&t=6861) . I have no idea if it'll will work, but it'll fun to try. I'll post some updates when I get going.

Anyway, this has made me want to move forward with another idea I've had for a while - to build a flash setup for my microscope.

I've looked a lot at the different adaptations in Pau's FAQ: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 563#161563

In my case, the M20 won't allow me to insert a beam splitter in the base where the lamp filament (in my case, LED) is located. So I'm thinking of making something more similar to Anne's solution with a contraption above the field lens:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 160#237160

I like the idea of having a collector lens built into the beam splitter assembly. I'm thinking that it would allow me to achieve Köhler with the flash.

But that's where I'm stuck. What lens should I use? Seems like in almost all cases it's a very simple convex lens? What focal length? Where would I buy one? Unfortunately I'm in Sweden, so surplusshack isn't an option. Ideas?

Saul

Post by Saul »

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Thanks! That was easy and should work well. Your adaptation looks great. You have the 90-120° version, correct?

Saul

Post by Saul »

viktor j nilsson wrote:Thanks! That was easy and should work well. Your adaptation looks great. You have the 90-120° version, correct?
I have 60 version. Also, later added diffuser (looks like I have to make it focusable, center of the field was little bit brighter)

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Saul wrote: Also, later added diffuser (looks like I have to make it focusable, center of the field was little bit brighter)
Marvelling at your fabrication skills so far Saul I must ask what ideas you have to make a focusable diffuser.

The principles involved in solving this issue would be welcomed by others I am sure.

Thank you

BR

John

Saul

Post by Saul »

dolmadis wrote:... what ideas you have to make a focusable diffuser...
My mistake, I meant "focusable lens" , not the diffuser - I suspect, the lens is too close to the LED (more testing is needed).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic