any Linos Inspec.x L 5.6/105 experience?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Antal

any Linos Inspec.x L 5.6/105 experience?

Post by Antal »

Hello all,
Are there people who have tested the Linos Inspec.x L 5.6/105? Data looks quite promising if you believe the quotes from Qoptix (who builded Roberts mythic mag.X)

Antal

Post by Antal »

Data from Qoptix:
• Focal length: 105 mm
• Aperture: 5.6 … 11
• Working distance: 100-420 mm
• Spectral range: 400-750 nm
• Distortion: < 0.4%
• Camera mount: V-groove
• Compatible with all inspec.x L Series accessories

• Large image circle up to 82 mm
• Perfect match with 5 ?m pixel size
• Full-metal barrel
• Lockable aperture

High-Resolution Lenses for Line-Scan
Applications
The inspec.x L Series was developed to meet the
highest requirements in industrial image processing
with very large sensors. This Lens Series shows even
contrast and resolution over an image circle of up
to 82 mm. The field-proven performance makes
these lenses a perfect match for sensors like the
popular 12k/5?m and 16k/5?m line-scan sensors.
Very large area line-scan sensors also benefit from
the high resolution, low distortion and excellent
color correction of these lenses.
The four variants of the inspec.x L 5.6/105 are
optimized for magnifications of 0.33x, 0.5x, 0.76x
and 1x respectively. The V-groove interface at both
ends of the lens enables adjustment to the best
azimuth position and use of the lens in retro
position for magnifications up to 3x. All lenses
feature lockable iris and are engineered for the use
in harsh industrial environments.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

I have the 105/4 3.5x and have done some testing at 3-3.5x. It's really good, but I don't have a FF camera to do more thorough tests. The lens is "waiting in the wings" for one of two events:

1) I complete a camera-pan S&S system for use with APS-C at higher mag than my current subject-pan system. The 105f4IXL3p5 is the "focal point" of this planned system

2) My current camera either wears out or dies, and I end up buying a FF camera to replace it. Interestingly, I came very close to doing just that this morning. Last night my HRT2i decided to stop listening to EOS Utility, so I though it was dead. My other Canon cameras communicated just fine. I put it on the shelf while I pondered my next move, and this morning I decided to do a "clear all settings" on the camera as a last resort. Now it works perfectly again! Maybe by the time it actually dies, Sony will come out with an APS-C camera that tethers Live View...

Anyway, the 105/4 figures into my future system plans. I expect the 5.6 version to be excellent as well.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I'd be skeptical about using such a slow lens, especially with a small-sensor camera.

RobertOToole

Re: any Linos Inspec.x L 5.6/105 experience?

Post by RobertOToole »

Antal wrote:Hello all,
Are there people who have tested the Linos Inspec.x L 5.6/105? Data looks quite promising if you believe the quotes from Qoptix (who builded Roberts mythic mag.X)
What camera would you be using it on Antal, and what mag model where you thinking about?

I owned a Inspec.x 5.6/105 0.33 - 3x version for a few weeks before returning it to the seller.

Pros:
Clean image, no CAs at all
Excellent fit and finish
M43 x 0.75 threads on both sides
Big image circle

Negatives:
Its huge! (61mm diameter)
Slow maximum aperture would limit sharpness at higher magnifications. Should make a nice tube lens!

Alternatives in the same class:
The Makro-symmar is a lot smaller, maybe 40-45mm in dia, and I prefer the more common V38 mount.

Hope the info helps.

Best,

Robert

Antal

Post by Antal »

RobertOToole wrote:
Antal wrote: What camera would you be using it on Antal, and what mag model where you thinking about?
Thanx for this reply, Robert.
I would use it on FF (5D mark4).
I shoot a lot of 1x - 3x and was thinking about buying the very same model as you had, as there are cheep copies for sale.
The 3,5x model is much rarer and more expensif.

"Slow maximum aperture would limit sharpness at higher magnifications. Should make a nice tube lens! "
@Robert: is this about higher magnification than 3x or is it loosing sharpness allready at 3X? What mag did you test?

I have this Schneider Apo-Digitar 120 M, seems like its even sharper than the makrosymmar.
But it's mounted actually on a 80x80mm viewcamera plate, so not really smaller than the linos!
I do rarely use it on the viewcamera and unmounting is posssible but not what you want to do very often, specially as my measuring table is not in the studio.
But I will give a try once..

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Antal wrote: Thanx for this reply, Robert.
I would use it on FF (5D mark4).
I shoot a lot of 1x - 3x and was thinking about buying the very same model as you had, as there are cheep copies for sale.
The 3,5x model is much rarer and more expensif.
The 3.5x models do appear once and awhile, sometimes for very low prices but you have to be patient. They were available online for only $200-$275 at one point and looking back I am not really sure why I didn't pick one up at the time.:shock:
"Slow maximum aperture would limit sharpness at higher magnifications. Should make a nice tube lens! "
@Robert: is this about higher magnification than 3x or is it loosing sharpness allready at 3X? What mag did you test?
I tested the lens at 1:3 and attempted to install the lens for 3x but I ran out of extension and travel on my vertical set-up but I would expect the results at 3x would suffer from diffraction.
I have this Schneider Apo-Digitar 120 M, seems like its even sharper than the makrosymmar.But it's mounted actually on a 80x80mm viewcamera plate, so not really smaller than the linos!
Yes, I forgot to mention that lens. I do plan to pickup an APO-Digitar M lens at some point. They are much harder to find than the Makro-Symmar, at least at a good price.

Best,

Robert

Antal

Post by Antal »

I just realized it is a Rodenstock Apo-Macro-Sironar Digital 120mm 5.6, and not a Apo-Digitar.
I never ever used it for real macro as it is integrated in a view-camera and doing MF 22Mpx Macro is odd. It performs fine for stilllife with my old Sinarback.

Rodenstock says 0.5X-2X..

So I will really have to look out for a makrosymmar or something similar..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic