The strongest NEMA 17 with 0.9 degree

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

The strongest NEMA 17 with 0.9 degree

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everybody,
Does anybody know the strongest NEMA 17 with 0.9 degree?
I have already selected two candidates from Wantai Motor with the torque 4200 / 220:
http://www.wantmotor.com/product/42byghm.html#
- 42BYGHM809
- 42BYGHM810
And which one does fit better to the TB6560 ?
BR, ADi

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

ADi...why do you want such a high torque motor? Higher torque usually means more drive power required, and often can mean less accuracy in microstepping due to the design tradeoffs. Honestly I'd go for motors with more "finesse". I've been very happy with the Lin 416 series motors, but indeed they are not high torque models. They are certainly enough for my vertical setup with 3-4lbs of accessories. If you really want high torque, I'd go for the Lin 4209 series, but I still believe it is way overkill for what we do, and you might not like the tradeoffs.

How will you drive the motor?

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Ray,
How will you drive the motor?
The motor will be driven as follows (in the vertical setup with the THK KR 2001):
Higher torque usually means more drive power required, and often can mean less accuracy in microstepping due to the design tradeoffs
What kind of the design tradeoffs do you mean?

BTW, if you use a stepper with the low torque some steps can be over jumped, can’t it?

BR, ADi

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Adalbert wrote: What kind of the design tradeoffs do you mean?

BTW, if you use a stepper with the low torque some steps can be over jumped, can’t it?

BR, ADi
What you'll notice when physically examining various motors of different torque ratings is that the high torque ones generally have high starting torque, ie it's more difficult to move them by hand with no drive or load. I have a couple NEMA-23 motors which I can't move with my fingers! This is due to a much higher permanent magnet component in the rotor, which helps to "amplify" the effect of the applied currents, but also makes it tougher to overcome the natural "step" nature of the motor. It is the reason that the 5-phase motors are less "accurate" under microstepping than the 2-phase in that Lin paper. The 5-phase were designed for full-stepping, and it's easy to tell this when you rotate them by hand.

Keep in mind that most applications only use full-stepping, with microstepping being used if the full-step movements are too abrupt and cause vibrations in the system. Most folks have no need for the small step sizes we demand.

One problem you may have with a low-torque motor is unique to vertical systems...slippage. But it doesn't take much holding torque to keep a 1mm pitch motor from moving, even with fairly heavy loads.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Ray,
One problem you may have with a low-torque motor is unique to vertical systems...slippage.
Sometimes I use the CANON EF 70-200L as a tube lens.
In this case over 3kg / 7lb must be moved.

BTW, how to stack vertically DOWN or UP ?

BR, ADi

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Adalbert wrote:Hello Ray,
One problem you may have with a low-torque motor is unique to vertical systems...slippage.
Sometimes I use the CANON EF 70-200L as a tube lens.
In this case over 3kg / 7lb must be moved.

BTW, how to stack vertically DOWN or UP ?

BR, ADi
ADi...I've often recommended folks stack"down", but there are arguments for both directions.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ray_parkhurst wrote:ADi...I've often recommended folks stack"down", but there are arguments for both directions.
Sure, with a microscope I prefer to to stack upwards to prevent the damping grease retaining a bit the movement (at least with some old lazy models, if working perfectly it's the same) but you have more risk of crushing the subject against the objective, again only in some cases.
But with a proper microscope block torque is not an issue
Pau

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic