The beauty of dragons, part 2

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MarkSturtevant

The beauty of dragons, part 2

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Here are more pictures of dragonflies that I had taken over the previous summer.

Different species have different flying and perching behaviors. Some fly constantly, while others will frequently land (and these tend to get photographed more often). The chalk fronted corporals (Ladona julia) shown in the first two pictures spend most of their time on a perch, and this is rarely far from the ground.
Female.
Male.

The Eastern pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) is a nice example of how males will change colors as they mature. Females are bright green...

... while males start out with the same green color but later turn a lovely blue color. These males are starting the transition, and I actually prefer this look. Later, they will be completely blue except for the head.

Next is a racket-tail emerald (Dorocordulia libera). Many of the 'emeralds' have metallic green on their body, as can be seen here. This is a female, but males look pretty much the same.

One of my favorites is the halloween pennant (Celithemis eponina). This young male was perched up high in the wind (they like to perch elevated), and this allowed me to get some interesting perspectives on it.

Finally, this is a young male blue dasher (Pachydiplax longipennis). Like the Eastern pondhawk, the male will also gradually turn blue as it ages.

Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

SteveB

Post by SteveB »

Nice pictures! I particularly like the last one - a background like that really puts one's attention on the insect. I'm trying to increase my knowledge of my local dragon and damselflies. They are magnificent creatures and can make for great photography.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Interesting split eyes on the last few species. Looks like the upper ocelli are adapted for one task, and the lower eyes for another.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Lou Jost wrote:Interesting split eyes on the last few species. Looks like the upper ocelli are adapted for one task, and the lower eyes for another.
A lot of them have that. I am not sure why. It might be something simple like sunscreen for the upper hemisphere of the eyes, but I really have no idea.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

The one time I looked close, I saw that there were big differences in the sizes of the ocelli in the two regions.

See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11271 .

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

rjlittlefield wrote:The one time I looked close, I saw that there were big differences in the sizes of the ocelli in the two regions.
See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11271 .
--Rik
Good! Your post there also gives possible functions of different areas of compound eyes that may also apply to dragonflies.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic