Paramecium bursara

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Olympusman

Paramecium bursara

Post by Olympusman »

Paramecium bursara

Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Nice :D
What was the objective lens combo for this ?

Olympusman

Paramecium bursara

Post by Olympusman »

It was a 40X objective, focus stacked series. I have been experimenting with illumination effects at high magnifications - mostly off-set illumination, which results in more three-dimensional relief at the cost of lesser resolution. I have a certain home-made spider darkfield stop that when used a 20X objective provides amazing results. When that same stop is used at 40X or higher, by "feathering" the edge of the spider stop can provide an informative cross-illumination at higher magnifications.

Mike

Grahame

Post by Grahame »

Thanks for that Olympusman,
I didn't have that picked as 40X.
Sounds like a well trained spider.
Happy silly season.

MASZEK

Post by MASZEK »

A very interesting shot. You can see a light three-dimensionality. The picture looks like a bas-relief. Nice. :smt114

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

It's surprising how much more you can see using oblique-type illumination, though I always find it difficult to photograph. You've captured it well here. I struggle to do oblique on my Zeiss inverted (not enough suitable adjustments in the illumination train) but I (re)discovered oblique on my Nikon Labophot. Just using a hand to shade some of the light coming in from underneath works a treat - and it's quick and easy to move the hand around for different effects.

Olympusman

Oblique lighting

Post by Olympusman »

Thanks, everyone. I started experimenting feathering a spider (darkfield) stop at high magnification after finally figuring out high magnification (60X objectives) Rheinberg illumination. The result is a form of the "Limb Effect" which appears to impart a cross-lighting effect.

Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic