flash recomendations

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bs0604

flash recomendations

Post by bs0604 »

I would like to order a flash or pair of flashes for my camera/extension tube/microscope objective system. I read about Godox as being good quality and reasonably priced. Any specific models you would recommend in view of having to take a series of stacked shots six seconds apart (to allow settling). Obviously the flashes need to have fairly quick cycle times and be able to hold a charge for a series of 100 to 200 shots.

Deanimator

Re: flash recomendations

Post by Deanimator »

bs0604 wrote:I would like to order a flash or pair of flashes for my camera/extension tube/microscope objective system. I read about Godox as being good quality and reasonably priced. Any specific models you would recommend in view of having to take a series of stacked shots six seconds apart (to allow settling). Obviously the flashes need to have fairly quick cycle times and be able to hold a charge for a series of 100 to 200 shots.
Since you're in Florida, I'd recommend Flashpoint, which is Adorama branded Godox.

What's your budget? If you can afford them, these are great:

https://www.adorama.com/fplfs300b.html
They're a lot better than conventional flashes for big stacks.

I have a couple, and with my 4x and 10x rig, I've only used one so far. You'll need a transmitter for your camera. The receiver is built into the unit.

bs0604

Post by bs0604 »

Thanks very helpful. Fortunately my budget is flexible. I notice on the Adorama site that Flashpoint comes in different powers, the more powerful being more expensive. Should I get the more powerful version or are the weaker ones adequate for this type of work? Also do you use a diffuser or bounce the light off a white board or ceiling?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

bs0604 wrote:Thanks very helpful. Fortunately my budget is flexible. I notice on the Adorama site that Flashpoint comes in different powers, the more powerful being more expensive. Should I get the more powerful version or are the weaker ones adequate for this type of work? Also do you use a diffuser or bounce the light off a white board or ceiling?
Been using these Adorama Studio 300 strobes over a year. I have 8 now and these are my workhorse strobes. I've never needed more that the 300WS, since I usually use 3 or more strobes and a light tent (or two), and/or foam cup as diffusers (all have large light loss).

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... ht=adorama

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

bs0604 wrote:Thanks very helpful. Fortunately my budget is flexible. I notice on the Adorama site that Flashpoint comes in different powers, the more powerful being more expensive. Should I get the more powerful version or are the weaker ones adequate for this type of work? Also do you use a diffuser or bounce the light off a white board or ceiling?
I've only used mine for vertical macro so far.

I've just used various versions of the foam cup diffuser, including cutting a couple apart and gluing them back together.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic