Nikon objective question

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Sumguy01

Nikon objective question

Post by Sumguy01 »

Hi guys
I recently purchased a Nikon CF 160 Fluor 40/1.30 oil DIC objective.
It has a correction ring with a range that is 1.3 - 0.8
What is it correcting?
I have other objectives that correct for coverglass thickness, they have a range 11-23.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Are you sure that's a correction ring? It sounds more like control for an internal iris.

--Rik

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

If it isn't an aperture diaphragm as Rik suggests it would be a "cover glass" correction ring, in this case it would be to be used in an inverted microscope to see through the slide itself, not the cover.
Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi,

As has been said, this is the control for the internal iris. It reduces the NA from 1.3 down to 0.8. This allows the objective to be used for darkfield observation (to great effect).

Regards, Ichty

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

Hi guys
Thanks for the reply's
I will play with it some to see how it does with DF.
It probably is an iris control.

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

If it is an iris you must be able to see it close to the rear part of the objective
Pau

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Speaking of nikon objectives: could anyone tell me what's the difference between cf-n, cf-e and cf-s?
--- felix filicis ---

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

Thanks for the help guys
I was able to check it out this afternoon.
It is for iris control.
If I stop it down to 0.8 I can get DF but most importantly for me I can get better oblique.
:D

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

Dont overdo that iris, best to keep it open. 40x/1.3 is already ~F16
Sole purpose of this, is to allow ~ 1.1 NA darkfield vs 0.95 for dry lens.

Getting rid of coverlsip correction is a bonus :)

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

iconoclastica wrote:Speaking of nikon objectives: could anyone tell me what's the difference between cf-n, cf-e and cf-s?
Hi,

I've never heard of cf-e or cf-s. Do you have a reference or illustration? All I know are Nikon CF, CFN, and CFI.

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

Ichthyophthirius wrote:
iconoclastica wrote:Speaking of nikon objectives: could anyone tell me what's the difference between cf-n, cf-e and cf-s?
Hi,

I've never heard of cf-e or cf-s. Do you have a reference or illustration? All I know are Nikon CF, CFN, and CFI.
Maybe you are referring to the SC objectives, which are not CF, but was a series of student microscopes that had an extra lens system between the objectives and head? Discussed here: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?p=64987

Otherwise I don't know what cf-s is either.

The CF series is well described in this folder, as I'm sure you are aware: http://www.krebsmicro.com/Nikon_CF.pdf

CF achromats and CF E achromats are very basic with pronounced field curvature. Some like the 10x is fine for stacking though as shown repeatedly on this forum.

CF E is the economy series. They are plan achromats and a VERY pronounced step up from the plain achromats and E achromats. I like them, very good value.

CF N is again a clear step up from CF E, but not as pronounced a step up as from plain achromats to E plan I'd say. They are also describred as plan achromats, but have higher resolution than CF E Plan. Nikon describes the CF N Plan as similar to Fluor objectives, which sounds about right.

And then there is CF N Plan Apochromats that I'm sure are superior but which I cannot afford.

I use 4x 10x and 100x from the CF E Plan series and 20x and 40x PH3 from the CF N series on my microscope and I'm pretty happy with all of them. I also have the CF achromat 10x which I am not using anymore but was OK for stacking when I was starting out.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Hm, it seems that in my eagerness to get confused I misread CFI-S for CF-S, for I cannot find the reference back indeed.

Anyway, your explanation of the -E and -N is most helpful and much clearer than the Nikon folder! Upto now, I avoided the E series, thinking that 'economic' meant cheapest and simplest...
--- felix filicis ---

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

If you are on facebook you can join the Amateur microscopy group, where Ken Schwartz some time ago posted a really good comparison of CF E Plan 40x 0.65 and CF N Plan 40x 0.70

It's here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Amateur ... 573470193/

Not sure if you can see it if you are not a member.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Yes, I am allowed to see it as non-member. Very intructive.
--- felix filicis ---

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic