Painted Lady Butterfly Head Focus Stack

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Robert Berdan

Painted Lady Butterfly Head Focus Stack

Post by Robert Berdan »

Attaching a photograph of Painted Lady Butterfly - stack of 15 images using Canon MP65E lens, Canon 5D Mark II camera and stacked in Photoshop CS2018.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Wow! How on earth did you get all the hairs on the eyes to be "non-transparent"? You're either a retouching-anorak, or you know a trick that I don't. Pls explain... :)

Robert Berdan

Transparent Hairs

Post by Robert Berdan »

I am not quite sure what you mean, I did not do anything special with the hairs. The insect was mounted on a pin and I cleaned up a little bit of dirt on the head using photoshop but didn't do anything to the hairs. I jused a simple light and took 15 shots at different focus levels. I might have used a ring flash I can't remember I am always experimenting with different types of lighting.

I hope to do more macrophotography and focus stacking of insects but I am mostly using stacking with photomicrographs when I am able to get the animals to hold still.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Just surprised you didn't get lots of transparency on the eye hairs - they're spectacularly crisp and clear. Perhaps you stopped the lens down a lot? Maybe f/16 or so? For a 1024 pixels wide image that would work fine. But I (and many others on this forum) tend to shoot wide open for max resolution instead. That comes with a razor-thin shallow DoF so you get transparency that needs a heck of a lot of retouching to fix.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Beatsy wrote:Just surprised you didn't get lots of transparency on the eye hairs - they're spectacularly crisp and clear.
Beatsy, I agree that the hairs are rendered very well, and I'm pretty sure the reason lies in only 15 shots for a whole butterfly head. Compared to the stuff that you usually do, this is low mag and narrow aperture. If you looked at the individual sources, you would see crisply rendered hairs, with no structure visible in frames behind them to cause the transparency problem. The moral here is to not go for more resolution or more depth than you really care about.

--Rik

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

The harry eyes are stunning!

Very nice!

Thanks for sharing. I will send the link to my butterfly eye expert as he enjoys such things.

Keith

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic