Measurescope base--worth it or too dang heavy?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

That extra black clip at the base of the focus block is missing on my version....it would have been very useful. Have you ever seen one sold separately?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:That extra black clip at the base of the focus block is missing on my version....it would have been very useful. Have you ever seen one sold separately?
Lou,

That Z travel limit bracket really is a good idea.

I have a habit of running one of my MM-11 stands off the bottom of the Z gear while focusing, its happened about 10 times. Luckily I got smart and marked the end of the range with a bright blue mark so it's obvious when I am running out of gear teeth so in all 10 cases I had a hand on the bottom of the focus block that prevented the objective from crashing into the subject :shock:

I can see that would be a huge problem for someone with an unmarked MM-11 without the Z travel limit bracket. Not just running it off the bottom of the gear but also from crashing into the subject anywhere along the travel range.

On my second MM-11, the Zygo version, that clamp stops me when I hit the Z travel limit. The only problem is since I have two MM-11s and one Z clamp I sometimes forgot to install the clamp. :?

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

My version of the base has different tensioning system, a separate dial which is missing. only its shaft remains. I can move the shaft with a thick pin stuck through a hole in the shaft, but that's awkward, and the friction is hard to adjust. I've thought of making a bracket like that....nice to see they already exist (somewhere).

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:My version of the base has different tensioning system, a separate dial which is missing. only its shaft remains. I can move the shaft with a thick pin stuck through a hole in the shaft, but that's awkward, and the friction is hard to adjust. I've thought of making a bracket like that....nice to see they already exist (somewhere).
Thats different.

Some of the Nikon measuring scopes have cables and a counterweight and I assume that system counters the weight of the head + gravity so a travel limit clamp isn't so important but you could still focus right into contact with the subject if you weren't careful.

That Mitutoyo QV scope that I picked up this summer has a cable system and a large counterweight in the base of the column but it has to be since all the functions in the head are motorized, zoom, focus and light positioning in so the weight of the head makes a counterweight necessary I assume. The scope took 4-5 guys + me to get it in my SUV and it still wasn't easy to position it. It has to be at least 200 + pounds.

Best,

Robert

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Lou Jost wrote:That extra black clip at the base of the focus block is missing on my version....it would have been very useful. Have you ever seen one sold separately?
FYI the tension 'arm' has Kipp logo on it. I didn't see a 'clamp' on their site like this.

https://www.kippusa.com/us/en/Products/ ... vices.html

-JW:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Smokedaddy wrote:
FYI the tension 'arm' has Kipp logo on it. I didn't see a 'clamp' on their site like this.

https://www.kippusa.com/us/en/Products/ ... vices.html

-JW:
Hi JW, I think that company just makes the lever handle, the clamp itself must be made for Zygo as custom part since I have never seen one on a Nikon branded MM-11. These Zygo scopes were very expensive when they sold as new.

Robert

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

Last week I ended up buying Nikon MM-11 with objectives, BD Plan 2.5 - 40x ELWD

Question is on the BD objective thread i.e. RMS vs. other ? need adapter info as I will be using these on my bellows as well.

Please comment;

Many Thanks

V
Vishnu

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

Forgot to mention, shipment in transit and just wanted to get heads-up

THX
Vishnu

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi V,

Nice MM-11 you have there, good buy. These are really easy to use so I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

For the BD objectives I like to use a Raf adapter to take the BD thread down to RMS and at the same time the adapter blocks the BD light channel.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/rafcamera?

and

https://www.rafcamera.com/

Jinfinance on Ebay also has BD adapters:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/jinfinance?

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Forgot to mention :D

Check the focus block when you get it.

Two issues are common with these, if the fine focus has a rough spot, the gear might be stripped, search the forum for some threads on this, replacement is an easy job.

The other issue is with focus creep where the focus will not stay locked in place with a heavy load like a camera+lens, this is due to a weak spring in the focus assembly. Search the forum for a thread on this also, this is also an easy fix if you have the issue.

I have experience fixing both of these issues on my own units to feel free to PM me if you need help. :D

Robert

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Vish_007 wrote:Question is on the BD objective thread i.e. RMS vs. other ? need adapter info as I will be using these on my bellows as well.
I also have one of those. I've seen that particular MM-11 on eBay for quite sometime. In my opinion you'll like it. The objectives are M26 x 0.75 (as is a BD turret). BTW you can mount reversed enlarger lenses, scanner lens, etc., on that puppy too with a dovetail adapter.

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

Robert and Smokedaddy,

Thank you very much for the very helpful tips... I always learn here

Actually, I did not know much about MM-11 until saw the post by forum member Scarodactyl Nov 19 post.

Best,

V
Vishnu

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

FYI, Saul Gugis has a 3D printable .STL file available for downloading for a Optiphot-M42 objective adapter. I haven't printed it and machined one instead. The Optiphot dovetail is the same as the MM-11. Also, RAFcamera will have a machined aluminum one available soon too.

Here's Saul's link.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3019592

Here's the 'thread' about Saul's;

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 692df71990

I'll let you know when RAFcamera's adapter is available. Here's mine;

-JW:
Last edited by Smokedaddy on Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

JW is right the thread's M26 x 0.75.

NB the infinite BD's are 27mm. :shock:
Chris R

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

Thank You All, I was looking exactly for this information.

V
Vishnu

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic