Bugslabber installation

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

You're very welcome, Hans. I shouldn't have muttered about the time spent--which was useful to me as well. During the process, I decided to look over SlabberJockey's code, since I hadn't seen it for over five years, and memory gets fuzzy. Alas, Microsoft has changed the Access interface so much that things I used to be able to do without thinking--such as pull up an ERD or properties sheet--required Web searches and relearning. Frustrating, to say the least. :x

But it's a tip-off that if I want to remain literate in Access, I need to get busy and learn the new interface. This fact is sad, but I'm better off being aware of it.
HansS wrote:I intended to do no more coding after retirement. But your SlabberJockey might inspire me to get a recent version of MS Access, to straighten out some shortcomings in the Lightroom database.
I gave Lightroom a brief try some years ago, and didn't like the database at all. Perhaps it has improved.

[Curmudgeon hat on.]

But as I suspect you may sympathize, I don't like relying on someone else's black box database to manage information that is important to me; to be able to access that information only as that black box permits; and perhaps to be captive to that black box product forever if it doesn't permit exporting my information. A database you build yourself is a database that does exactly what you want, that you can modify as your needs change, and from which you can withdraw your data at any time.

To me, this is a good reason for having a database program and knowing how to use it.

[/Curmudgeon hat off.] ;)

Cheers,

--Chris S.

HansS

Post by HansS »

Chris,

Yes, keeping up with IT development takes a lot of time. I left most of that behind me. Still use some SQL on the music database (Slimserver/LMS) when necessary. Made a codebuilder for my website in Excel, that really should be in MS Access, but this way took less time.

Yes, I also dislike blackboxes but the limited time I have, I prefer to spend on being outside with a camera, listen to some new music or read that last book of etc.

For Lightroom I am looking for an alternative. Renting Photoshop was allright, but being dependent on a rented product for the postprocessing done on over 30K photos seems unacceptable to me. However conversion of such a mass of photos is a job not lightly undertaken.

All the best,
Hans

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic