5x Test Coming Soon but I Need Some Feedback First Please

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

typestar wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:...
I plan to upgrade to a pixel shift body in the future and these have better dynamic range I believe ...
Robert -- which body, how near the future for this change... ?

typestar
Hi typestar

The Sony a7R III looks great but I would rather not use a full frame sensor, an APS-C or DX would really make life much easier. The only APS-C that I know of with pixel shift HR mode is the Pentax K-3 II. The details at 100% at 24MP are similar to a 36MP file with the image circle of an APS-C sensor.

For 90% of my wildlife work I use a full frame sensor but I really prefer APS-C for macro since its easier to find optics to cover the image circle.

I will wait until January when I am in Japan where they have an excellent selection of mint used equipment at very good prices (I would expect 15- 40% off prices here depending on the yen value).

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

RobertOToole wrote:
typestar wrote:
I plan to upgrade to a pixel shift body in the future and these have better dynamic range I believe ...

typestar
Hi typestar

The Sony a7R III looks great but I would rather not use a full frame sensor, an APS-C or DX would really make life much easier. The only APS-C that I know of with pixel shift HR mode is the Pentax K-3 II. The details at 100% at 24MP are similar to a 36MP file with the image circle of an APS-C sensor.

For 90% of my wildlife work I use a full frame sensor but I really prefer APS-C for macro since its easier to find optics to cover the image circle.

I will wait until January when I am in Japan where they have an excellent selection of mint used equipment at very good prices (I would expect 15- 40% off prices here depending on the yen value).

Best,

Robert
I was not happy at all with the K3-II pixel shift mode. The A7RIII at least could "fool" you into believing the resolution was real, but the artifacts created by the K3-II were abysmal, worse than the worst jpg artifacts I've seen.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:
typestar wrote:

typestar
Hi typestar

Best,

Robert
I was not happy at all with the K3-II pixel shift mode. The A7RIII at least could "fool" you into believing the resolution was real, but the artifacts created by the K3-II were abysmal, worse than the worst jpg artifacts I've seen.
Thanks for the warning Ray, I will make sure to check again with results before I buy anything.

Robert

elimoss

Post by elimoss »

RobertOToole wrote:
The only APS-C that I know of with pixel shift HR mode is the Pentax K-3 II. The details at 100% at 24MP are similar to a 36MP file with the image circle of an APS-C sensor.

Robert
You probably don't want the K-3 II...

Pentax K-70 entry level body has pixel shift and a newer sensor. There are no other electronic shutter modes on that body though, so it is a not the best choice for continuous lighting work. Pentax KP has both pixel shift and more electronic shutter options

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

elimoss wrote:
RobertOToole wrote:
The only APS-C that I know of with pixel shift HR mode is the Pentax K-3 II. The details at 100% at 24MP are similar to a 36MP file with the image circle of an APS-C sensor.

Robert
You probably don't want the K-3 II...

Pentax K-70 entry level body has pixel shift and a newer sensor. There are no other electronic shutter modes on that body though, so it is a not the best choice for continuous lighting work. Pentax KP has both pixel shift and more electronic shutter options
Thanks for the input on Pentax, I need it, I know almost nothing about the subject.

About a year ago I spent sometime comparing the K3II and KP and at base ISO and there was no difference that I could see in the HR mode files but the price was almost double for the newer model.

I also noted that the editor at imaging resource recommended the K3II over the KP.

The camera will be for macro only since I have a few Nikon bodies that I use for my day job, so I am only concerned with the IQ at base ISO, EFCS and price and thats about it but the KP's tilting screen is a big plus.

My choice also depends on the prices I see in Japan in Jan. and also if Sony comes out with a new APS-C body by then.

Keep the advice coming, I have a lot to learn with Pentax.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I think an electronic shutter is really important for stacking.

I am happy with my Pentax K-1 after switching out the mount. I really like FF now. Once you start stacking lenses, you no longer need to worry about sensor size. Just use a longer rear lens and you can cover the larger sensor.

I like to have a range of sensor sizes; MFT for high m and larger sensors for lower m. It gives me more flexibility. I can use my best lens combos and finite lenses for different FOVs by varying the sensor size.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote: I like to have a range of sensor sizes; MFT for high m and larger sensors for lower m. It gives me more flexibility. I can use my best lens combos for different FOVs by varying the sensor size.
I try to tell myself that Lou but my Nikons sit on the shelf while I grab my A6300 for the studio, since its smaller and just so much easier to use.

The A6300 gets left at home when I head into the field since it is actually too small for my hands. After a hour or two my hands start cramping since I can only get 3 fingers on the grip.

Best,

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

For studio work the size of the camera doesn't matter to me at all. I usually have the lens mounted on the rail, and can interchange cameras freely.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, would you reach for a FF for studio work if it were mirrorless? I think the A7Rii isn't very different physically from the A6300, is it?

benjamind2014

Post by benjamind2014 »

A6300 is a great APSC camera and it will be easy to find good optics. Also represents good value for money too.

elimoss

Post by elimoss »

RobertOToole wrote:
I try to tell myself that Lou but my Nikons sit on the shelf while I grab my A6300 for the studio, since its smaller and just so much easier to use.

Robert
You don't mind the low pass filter on the a6300? My knowledge of sampling theory and diffraction is a little weak -- maybe the olpf doesn't matter much at high magnification?

JohnyM

Post by JohnyM »

It is rather weak. From my user experience, A6300 (3,9um AA filter) can grab about as much details as A7RII (4,5um no AA) at same magnification and aperture.
Ofcourse A7RII have superior FOV in that case, hence if optics allow it, i will mount it instead of A6300.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:Robert, would you reach for a FF for studio work if it were mirrorless? I think the A7Rii isn't very different physically from the A6300, is it?
Never thought about that but I probably would.

Did look at the new Nikon MILC but the lack or high resolution mode and the new AF system made it easy to say no.

I honestly couldn't answer about the size so I looked the two up on CompareSize.com:

https://camerasize.com/compare/#724,656

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

benjamind2014 wrote:A6300 is a great APSC camera and it will be easy to find good optics. Also represents good value for money too.

Yes, I agree. Image quality is very high also, I believe I paid in the high $600s for one, an excellent buy.

Robert

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Robert, that doesn't seem like much of a difference, especially considering you aren't going to be carrying it around. In return, the increase in resolution would be quite significant for a given FOV.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic