Loving the Zeiss Jena Semiplan 6.3x

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

I know nothing about the objective .. spent long time seaching with google but can't find any brochure, datsheet or whatever ...

I got impressed with some work I saw in Flickr and went to look for one, a person told me he paid like 70 USD for his sampe and as I can't afford Mitutoyos or APO's etc... I think the objectve for me it's a bless ...also because it sits between the 4X - 10X huge gap...

As jurkovicovic says it looks to be very good in the corners on APSC .. and it's not even full Plan.

This objective is reputed as "rare".. I would say it's not "frequent" on eBay.
To get mine I scanned the eBay for more than a month and when I saw it finnaly for sale, it was an auction.

So I left a bid of 200 euros in the last 2 seconds to make sure it would be mine as I was tired to check eBay everyday ( I don't trust saved searches)
I got it for 57 euros... and it was pristine new.

The seller was having another one for auction last week and it went up to (I think) 62 euros...

The seller is mikrofreak_1 and is based in Germany
https://www.ebay.com/usr/mikrofreak_1?_ ... 2749.l2754

Maybe he has more in stock... send him a message if intersted... he uses to post for sale a small amount of new items twice a week or so... and most of his items are old ZEISS stuff... apparently he dismantles the microscopes and sell everything in parts.
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

The eyepieces have the "K" which I understand is for Korrection. I daresay someone knows!
Chris R

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

ChrisR wrote:Some time ago a then-active member used a Zeiss 6.3x 0.2. I recognized his demonstration picture when he sold it on ebay and asked him - he said it needed a lot of CA correction.
I don't have a Zeiss scope but I'm sure I've read that they needed correction prior to the ICS era, but can't find a reference now.
The need of compensating eyepieces arose at pre-war times because of the difficulty of making high magnification full corrected objectives. During many years low magnification objectives where paired with non compensating eyepieces while high magnification ones used compensating eyepieces marked K,C or Compens.
This was not practical because for best quality you needed to change eyepieces when changing objectives, so lately makers made low magnification objectives with the same need of compensation than their high magnification mates.

Both Lomo and Zeiss Jena were direct derivatives of pre-war Zeiss designs and very likely they maintained the first aforementioned situation at least during some time while West Germany makers adopted the second approach.

This could easily explain the good results people are getting with low magnification Lomo and Jena objectives as macro lenses.

Nowadays this situation is mostly changed in modern infinite systems: some makers do all the corrections in the objective while others make the compensation at the tube lens, also common for all magnifications, of course, so compensating eyepieces are not needed.

Some low price microscopes that in fact are copies of old designs still do use them while others don't.
Pau

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Can anyone confirm that the thread is M19 on this objective please?

Thanks

John

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

dolmadis wrote:Can anyone confirm that the thread is M19 on this objective please?

Thanks

John
mine is RMS...
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thank you for checking.

BR

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic