Small parasitic wasp (stereo)

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Small parasitic wasp (stereo)

Post by Beatsy »

I had this little wasp mounted while testing that my "ministrations" had fixed the small sideways hiccup my rail recently developed. Happy to say it's all sorted now, running straight and true without any glitches.

Here's a quick (celebratory) stereo of the test subject. PMax stack of 333-images (small xfine jpegs - no retouching). I used a 10x Mitty on full-frame and cropped to remove edge streakies so the FoV is a smidge over 3mm.

rolsen

Post by rolsen »

Supah cool stereo!
- Rane

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

Very neat stereo, love it!

Olympusman

Wasp

Post by Olympusman »

Very nice -- love the antennae.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice!

This is a case where a bit of retouching in the stereo might be easy and worthwhile. One of the rear legs looks very transparent, because of the strongly detailed abdomen behind it.

That problem could be fixed by doing a pair of Stack Selected's to render just the leg, using the same stereo shifts as for the whole stack. Then retouch just the leg in each image.

Some care is always required to avoid a visible artifact due to mismatched brushing, but in this case I think that would not be difficult.

With my moth pupa, retouching all the bright debris spots to avoid starbursts only took about 5 minutes per image.

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks everyone.

Rik: you're right, but I didn't bother because the legs are all over the place. It's a specimen I left too long after taking it out of the freezer, so everything's rigor mortis'ed solid. I could have relaxed it of course, but I was too impatient when testing my rig fixes and sacrificed it as an immediately available test subject. The back legs are crudely glued to a pin too :oops: Framing is too tight at 10x as well, so I abandoned it after stacking, deleted the images and stuck the specimen on the bird table (without the pin of course).

I've got another one (different insect) underway that has a few flares - I will edit that one.

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic