Dimage 5400 Attempted Purchase

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

mawyatt

Dimage 5400 Attempted Purchase

Post by mawyatt »

I found a damaged Damage 5400 on eBay and and made an offer shipping included, the seller (ambiorguerrer) countered with an offer with lower shipping, I agreed. After trying to work out PayPal for lower shipping, seller claimed I canceled order, which I didn't!! Seller probably later realized he could get more, and canceled my order. Should have known from a seller with a 98% rating.

So no Dimage 5400 lens :(

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Update,

eBay stepped in to review the dialog and agreed that I hadn't canceled the order as stated by the seller (seller actually canceled the order) and eBay started a "seller investigation", whatever that is. Anyway the seller quickly changed his tune and sold the DImage 5400 at the agreed price without additional shipping. I've received the item, it's a little more banged up than described with a few extra dents in the case, but arrived intact.

I've removed the lens per Robert's instructions, and it seems in good shape. Now waiting on the RMS adapter from Rafcamera to optically check it out :D

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ChrisR
Site Admin

Post by ChrisR »

They may have told him they were going to extract the commission from his paypal account anyway, as he had had an acceptable offer. They can do that, it's been in their rules for a year or so.
They claimed it's designed to stop people going outside ebay.
Chris R

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

This is good news Mike! I look forward to seeing how you will use the lens, and to seeing some images taken with it...Ray

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

And http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37800 ?

Looking forward to your findings.

BR

John

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

dolmadis wrote:And http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37800 ?

Looking forward to your findings.

BR

John
John,

Wondering if anyone has been able to configure this lens (for example, aperture size & location with another lens?) in a somewhat telecentric manner. This would be beneficial for stack & stitch sessions.

Best,
~Mike

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Mike

It would be excellent if there was a tried good telecentric arrangement for stacking/stitching.

I have only just received my lens and have ordered the adapter.

Hope someone has had time to assess this.

BR

John

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I think we wouldn't want to add an aperture since that will add to diffraction. There may be a close-up lens that would make it telecentric for some magnification, but in the past I have only had luck using this method with longef focal length lenses, not such a short lens. Worth exploring though.

Medwar

Post by Medwar »

And is there an easy way to check if you setup is telecentric or not?

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Medwar wrote:And is there an easy way to check if you setup is telecentric or not?
A quick way is to focus on a flat subject, snap a shot, then focus a bit high (say 1-2mm) and a bit low, and snap shots at both. Then simply compare the images and see if the size of the subject changed across the focus range. You need to focus by moving both camera and lens to avoid mag changes.

You can also do the same by just looking at the image on-screen. If you see no change as you move up/down around critical focus, then the lens is at least fairly telecentric.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic