105mm f2.8A Printing-Nikkor lenses $1000 $1300 $1800

Interested in used equipment to buy, sell, or trade? Post here to find other members with matching needs. Personal equipment only, no dealers please.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

105mm f2.8A Printing-Nikkor lenses $1000 $1300 $1800

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Price: 3 available ($1000, $1300, $1800) plus shipping.

For sale are several Nikon 105mm Printing-Nikkors version lenses. The new version can be distinguished by its flat front and rear lens surfaces, and slightly longer barrel (and of course the serial numbers). The highest version A serial number I've seen is ~2200, so I don't think there were more than this number made. Nikon RayFact still makes this lens (possibly with some slight mods for ROHS compliance).

The 105mm Printing-Nikkors were designed for the Hollywood film printing industry, for making copies of films up to 70mm. The electronics industry laterfound that they were perfect for high resolution quality control. These lenses came from a wafer inspection line at the IBM Cottle Rd plant. When the line was shut down, the lenses were "boxed", ie thrown into a box, so they ended up with dings on the cases. Some of the lenses that came from this group had damage to the outer lens coatings as well. I think that most of the 105PNA's that have come onto the market in the last 5 years were from this group. I purchased several of these lenses from an East Coast dealer, who bought them from a San Jose surplus guy, who got them from IBM.

I have sold a couple lenses from this group to forum members who seem to be very happy with them. One of the lenses was used for the lens testing at coinimaging.com, and the results were excellent. All of the lenses from this group should have similar characteristics as they were likely purchased under an IBM contract with Nikon.

The lenses have 45mm mounting threads on the rear, and a trim ring on the front which when removed exposes similar 45mm mounting threads for the front. It can be mounted either direction. I will include a 45mm-52mm(f) adapter, plus a 52mm(m) to Nikon-F adapter (with Nikon cap) that mounts to either front or rear (see pics). I actually recommend mounting to the front threads, since this adds needed extension to the lens in a very rigid fashion.

The lenses I have available are, by serial number:

500319: $1300
This lens is optically excellent, with just a bit of internal dust. The case has some nicks and scrapes, and some sticker residue.

500247: $1800
Similar to the above, but better case cosmetics, no stickers.

500668: $1000
This lens has a couple small coating marks on the rear lens surface, and the trim ring has a small dent, but should give performance similar to the above lenses.
Last edited by ray_parkhurst on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

I purchased my specimen of this lens after testing one for a friend. Seeing its output, I had to have one of my own, even though I already had several good optics for 1x. The high regard that folks have for it is well founded. (If anyone wants to see test images of my specimen against other optics, PM me.) I think my copy probably came from the same IBM facility as Ray's lenses.

Three known-good specimens on offer from a trusted forum member, at fair prices, with adapters, is a real opportunity. I hope they all find good homes.

To my mind, anyone who sees these as tools, rather than collectors' items, should be tempted by the specimen with cleaning marks. As Ray said, these should affect output not at all.

--Chris S.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic