New PC spec, quick check ref stacking...

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Here you can check to see if your browser is managing colors correctly, by comparing two images:
https://photographylife.com/is-your-bro ... or-managed

Edited to add that this is an old web page, may be outdated.

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Yes, it's advantage, if you can use high-end wide-gamut printer.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

It is also a lot of fun to look at your images in (almost) full natural color.

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Lou Jost wrote:It is also a lot of fun to look at your images in (almost) full natural color.
But mostly selfmade )
http://davidjohnstone.net/blog/2013/06/ ... ut-monitor

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Regular monitors have very poor green gamuts, and that is the most important color in nature. If you haven't used a wide-gamut monitor you will be very surprised by what you are missing, and this will lead to editing mistakes.

The article you linked to only discusses the problems of (older) browsers in interpreting color profiles. Photo-editing programs are almost all color-managed, and will interpret your colors correctly. Browsers like Firefox also have no problems with this.

After you've seen decent colors, you'll never go back to sRGB display devices.

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Lou Jost wrote:Regular monitors have very poor green gamuts, and that is the most important color in nature. If you haven't used a wide-gamut monitor you will be very surprised by what you are missing, and this will lead to editing mistakes.
After you've seen decent colors, you'll never go back to sRGB display devices.
Don't think so. Due to 99.99% of all digital content around is sRGB.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

We are photographers. We tend to look at photographs, our own and others. Who would want to cripple the colors of our images or those of others, after going through such lengths to get the resolution and composition right?

You don't lose anything by doing this, though you have to choose your browser with this in mind. Firefox handles both wide-gamut and sRGB images properly, and also handles non-image data properly (interpreting untagged items as sRGB). There is no downside to viewing more natural colors when the image permits it.

As I said, this is especially important for green images.

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Lou Jost wrote:We are photographers. We tend to look at photographs, our own and others. Who would want to cripple the colors of our images or those of others, after going through such lengths to get the resolution and composition right?

As I said, this is especially important for green images.
No mateer who want or not but here we can show only sRGB .jpg )
And is 99% of AdobeRGB space not adequate to editing on my monitor?

https://www.damiensymonds.net/2014/06/t ... -myth.html

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Now I am not sure I understand you. Earlier you seemed to be arguing that people should be satisfied with sRGB monitors. I strongly disagree with that. Now you seem to be arguing in favor of a monitor that comes close to filling the Adobe RGB color space. That's a big improvement, and most people would probably consider that a wide-gamut monitor.

Here are the color spaces:
http://geraldbakker.nl/____impro/1/onew ... quality=85

You can see that, especially in the greens, sRGB is very poor. Even Adobe RGB is mediocre, but might be good enough. However a monitor that only almost fills the aRGB space probably leaves out the greens.

The article you link to is terrible. It is a snarky argument in favor of an sRGB workflow, but the author constantly assumes that the readers only use sRGB monitors. Of course in that case it makes sense to use an sRGB workflow. But this is not an argument against getting a wide-gamut monitor.

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Lou Jost wrote:Now I am not sure I understand you. Earlier you seemed to be arguing that people should be satisfied with sRGB monitors. I strongly disagree with that.

Here are the color spaces:
http://geraldbakker.nl/____impro/1/onew ... quality=85

You can see that, especially in the greens, sRGB is very poor. Even Adobe RGB is mediocre, but might be good enough. However a monitor that only almost fills the aRGB space probably leaves out the greens.
Lou, it is only graphics how it can de good, but you can't show difference in real life here on the web unfortunatelly. Ppl need 10-bit graphic card like Quadro and 10-bit monitor and appropriate grafic file first.
Even monitor is wider than sRGB the jpg is sRGB, no more.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

jpgs also can contain color profiles and can be displayed in all their glory with a wide-gamut monitor.

The bit depth of an image is a different issue than the gamut. We can have an 8-bit wide-gamut image, though it could show banding.

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Lou Jost wrote:jpgs also can contain color profiles and can be displayed in all their glory with a wide-gamut monitor.
If you upload Adobe RGB color space photos to the web, you will notice that colors get desaturated on mostly other monitirs.
Since most web browsers have adapted sRGB as its color space, if you upload an image to the internet with the AdobeRGB gamut, the browser will convert it to sRGB.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

More and more browsers are becoming profile-aware. All you have to do is choose those browsers.

Justwalking

Post by Justwalking »

Lou Jost wrote:More and more browsers are becoming profile-aware. All you have to do is choose those browsers.
May be. I need to read what's new
https://om4.com.au/client/preparing-ima ... adobe-rgb/

upd

https://www.color-management-guide.com/ ... ement.html

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Yes, things have improved a lot over the last two or three years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic