Focus Stacking Issue: OLED Screen

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Focus Stacking Issue: OLED Screen

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

So... I decided to run a focus stack of a set of exposures of the OLED screen of my phone. I ended up with 72 exposures to process.

Using Zerene stacker, I obtained drastically different and completely ridiculous results from the Pmax and Dmap settings.

What's the way around this? I think the program simply got confused, because there's not much of a difference between "in focus" and "out of focus", just the confusion orbs are larger when not in focus.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

MC

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I lowered exposure by 2 stops making only the dots show up. Did another Pmax stack which yielded significantly better results (compared to above) which is still not good. I guess manually masking and stacking in photoshop is the only way left.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

It looks to me like the computational alignment process is going crazy. That can happen sometimes when there are very regular repeating patterns that can get matched up incorrectly.

I suggest going to Options > Preferences > Alignment and tightening up the settings to be just a little bigger than what your stack actually requires. Turn off rotation entirely if your setup doesn't need that.

--Rik

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

rjlittlefield wrote:It looks to me like the computational alignment process is going crazy. That can happen sometimes when there are very regular repeating patterns that can get matched up incorrectly.

I suggest going to Options > Preferences > Alignment and tightening up the settings to be just a little bigger than what your stack actually requires. Turn off rotation entirely if your setup doesn't need that.

--Rik
Thanks! I will give that a spin tonight. :)
Tried a single exposure, worked well too. Like the nice symmetry.
OLED Display

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic