Disassembly of Nikon LU Plan 50x

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Cornel

Disassembly of Nikon LU Plan 50x

Post by Cornel »

Hello everybody,

I have a question about the Nikon LU Plan microscope objectives BD type. I want to remove the the exterior cover of the objective so I can better light the subject and I don't know if it's possible with this model, I can't find anything on the internet about this.

This is the objective:

I've tried grabbing the brown part towards the thread and the main body but it doesn't budge, and I don't know if that's incorrect or I should apply more force.
If anyone has experience with this type of objectives...

Thank you.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I have no experience with this particular model of Nikon BD.

However, with another Nikon BD I found that the threads had been locked with some thin clear adhesive similar to nail polish, which yielded quickly to a small amount of ethyl acetate.

See http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 4908#74908 and the surrounding thread.

--Rik

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

rjlittlefield is correct. These objectives an the mitutoyo objectives. they are glued. I use a Q-tip to apply the solvent. I never use anymore solvent then what is needed to seperate the casings. hope this helps
Rocky Carter

Cornel

Post by Cornel »

Thank you for the replies, I have a Mitty BD and an older Nikon BD type objective like in that post but they all have in common a ring on the body that has better grip so you can grab and turn to disassembly. This LU plan doesn't have this, which makes me wonder if the exterior can be removed, glued or not.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I once had a similar problem -- nothing to grab -- while trying to take the gold barrel off a Nikon MRL00102 (like HERE).

The solution to that problem was to sacrifice the cap of an objective storage tube, harvesting the inner threaded portion to use as pre-formed pads to cushion a pair of pliers. The barrel came off immediately without solvent as soon as I could apply enough torque.

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

rjlittlefield wrote:I once had a similar problem -- nothing to grab -- while trying to take the gold barrel off a Nikon MRL00102 (like HERE).

The solution to that problem was to sacrifice the cap of an objective storage tube, harvesting the inner threaded portion to use as pre-formed pads to cushion a pair of pliers. The barrel came off immediately without solvent as soon as I could apply enough torque.

--Rik
I had the same problem trying to disassemble an EPI objective. I wound a load of thin string around the threads very tightly. That cushioned the threads from the pliers with a good grip so I could torque the outer casing off.

rockycarter

Post by rockycarter »

Cornel what i use is a pair of strap wrenches. They will not hurt the lens jacket. If you are interested go to a hardware store. Ask for a set of plumers rubber strap wrenches. There should be 3 in the set. The handles are plastic or metal the grip is a thick rubber band. Slip one band one direction the other in the opposite direction. These will take quit a bite they wont slipp. plus they will not mark or damage your lens jacket. when you go to tight dont use the plumers bands. It will surprise you how much you can tight with these. I have not seen a lens yet that would not come apart very easily hope this helps. Here is the full name. Boa BOASTDSG Boa Constrictor Strap Wrench Soft Grip
Rocky Carter

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic