KUBOTEK Nikon Rayfact 80MM F/3.5 Line Scan Lens Test Saga

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dolmadis wrote:Hi Robert

What is the 2x described as when for sale?

Thanks

John
Hi John,

There is a 2x up now on Ebay but the seller is from China and from personal experience these lenses have more problems with fungus than an average lens since they are usually salvaged from machine vision factory installations.

This is a link to my site for the 2X lens test:

https://www.closeuphotography.com/nikon ... t-gf-lens/

I believe I paid $200 or $299 for my 2x.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

:D

thanks

John

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

By the way, I emailed the Rayfact distributor and asked about the price of the GF lens, its rated to a smaller pitch sensor than the 95mm Raynox 2x printing nikkor and the reply; "For a single lens order the lens would be 'extremely' expensive." The rep said he had never seen a reply like that before. On the other hand they quoted the PN price as something like $8k. The GF was higher!?!

On the 7x Rayfact japan also replied 'extremely' expensive and recommended the 5x that was only $17,000.

These are definitely handmade to order, the build time was 6-8 weeks.

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

It seems odd that the 95PN is rated to a larger sensor pitch vs the GF2x. I think it may be an issue with coverage at large aperture. The 95PN apparently vignettes at f2.8, though I don't see it on APS-C. From the notes, it seems they test both at f4. In my 2.4x test, I found the 95PN needs to be stopped down to f3.3 for best performance, but at 2.0x it's best wide open. So for smaller image circles the 95PN likely out-resolves the GF2x, though I don't have one to compare.

Interestingly, I have hardly used my 95PN since I bought it, but with my recent Stack-Stitch work, it hasn't come off my camera.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:It seems odd that the 95PN is rated to a larger sensor pitch vs the GF2x. I think it may be an issue with coverage at large aperture. The 95PN apparently vignettes at f2.8, though I don't see it on APS-C. From the notes, it seems they test both at f4. In my 2.4x test, I found the 95PN needs to be stopped down to f3.3 for best performance, but at 2.0x it's best wide open. So for smaller image circles the 95PN likely out-resolves the GF2x, though I don't have one to compare.

Interestingly, I have hardly used my 95PN since I bought it, but with my recent Stack-Stitch work, it hasn't come off my camera.
Hi Ray. I got this info from a friend in Japan that founds specs in Japanese I asked him to translate it and I made this with the data:

I also have this graph on my site but this one comes from the Rayfact site directly, I added the labels. The Rayfact series = Eco-glass Rayfact/Printing Nikkors.

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Robert...in your translated table, the "vignetting" column shows 0% at f4, so to achieve the rated image circle, you need to stop-down the 95PN to f4, precluding use with smaller pixel pitch. But if you can tolerate a smaller image circle, you can use f2.8 with pixels smaller than 5um.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

This seller is in Shenzhen, China, I hope he/she is not the one I dealt with :D

There are two Rayfact2X's in the graph, which one is for the private labeled Kubotek?

I was hoping the Kubotek has larger image circle, so maybe sometimes down the road, I can use it on medium format camera (for painting reproduction) or at least larger image sensor for machine vision applications.

Thanks anyways.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Is the lens in the OP part of the GF series? I'm trying to figure out which Rayfact lens it is...

edited to add:

also, is the GF series new? It's not represented on the tochigi-nikon web page AFAICT

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

There is a 2x up now on Ebay but the seller is from China and from personal experience these lenses have more problems with fungus than an average lens since they are usually salvaged from machine vision factory installations.
Peter,

Is your source more "reliable"?

Do they ship to the UK?

BR

John

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

John, I do not know. I bought stuff from him before, but he is too "sale oriented". I found similar things on Taobao (Chinese eBay), but I do not think they ship overseas.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

the links to Taobao are on the first page of this thread.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thanks Peter.

I will make some tentative enquiries.

BR

John

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

This thread has me a bit confused. The thread is discussing the Kubotek 80mm f3.5 lens, which is supposedly sourced by Nikon Rayfact. The GF series lenses are f4, so not the same lens I believe. Is there a prototype Rayfact lens that corresponds to the Kubotek f3.5 offering?

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

mjkzz wrote:Image

This seller is in Shenzhen, China, I hope he/she is not the one I dealt with :D

There are two Rayfact2X's in the graph, which one is for the private labeled Kubotek?

I was hoping the Kubotek has larger image circle, so maybe sometimes down the road, I can use it on medium format camera (for painting reproduction) or at least larger image sensor for machine vision applications.

Thanks anyways.
Hi Peter,

The 95mm f2.8 2x and the 95mm Reversed are the same lens, the Eco-printing nikkor version. The 2x lens is at the top, the Rayfact GF.

That seller likes to post images for lenses from other peoples ads or from taoboa. I dont think the seller actually has the lens, I think, because of the 'borrowed' photos, I think he re-sells other sellers equipment without actually having the product in hand.

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

ray_parkhurst wrote:Is the lens in the OP part of the GF series? I'm trying to figure out which Rayfact lens it is...

edited to add:

also, is the GF series new? It's not represented on the tochigi-nikon web page AFAICT
Hi Ray, I was told the Kubotek 2x lens is a Rayfact GF private label, it sure looks the same.

The GF series is off of the Japanese Reyfact site now but it is still listed on other Rayfact distributors. I mention this on my site. You can use google to dig up specs. I have some of the GF series PDFs saved if you are interested.

This is one:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic