Dis-assembling Nikon Optiphot and UM-2 mounts

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Lou Jost

Dis-assembling Nikon Optiphot and UM-2 mounts

Post by Lou Jost »

I bought an old Nikon Optiphot and an old Nikon UM-2 (edited). I want to use them with a camera and various tube lenses and objectives. To do that, I have to remove the black mounting collar that takes the eyepiece head on top and the objective turret on the bottom. But I am unable to remove them on either of these microscopes.

On the Optiphot shown above, there is a loose tan metal wedge just above the turret, which looks like it might hide screws that hold the black mounting collar in place. Though it is loose, it does not come off. Anyone know how to get it off, and how to remove the turret?

On the UM-2 shown below, I have unscrewed all relevant screws, and it looks like the black mounting collar should come out, but it doesn't show any signs of moving. Should I just take a hammer to it?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lou
Last edited by Lou Jost on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Saul

Post by Saul »

... I want to use them with a camera and various tube lenses and objectives. To do that, I have to remove the black mounting collar that takes the eyepiece head on top and the objective turret on the bottom...
I wouldn't do that, especially for UM-2. Please take a look to the my studio setup. Using 3d printed parts (can share models ) & cheap ebay adapters you can build very flexible setup.

If you still want to remove them - they are glued with epoxy also. I had a luck to remove one from the optiphot by gently applying pressure and hammering it (piece of wood in between). It is used now for my vertical setup and Amscope T490B different configurations. Bigger problem was to unscrew top rings. Soaked for the couple days in the different solvents (few days, few drops, closed in the hermetic bag in order to avoid evaporation). Even after this + span wrenches = nothing. Next thing I tried - small flat screwdriver to the ring slot and gentle hammering and it helped.
Saul
μ-stuff

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Thanks for those ideas and experiences, Saul. Your set-up is very elegant.

I have to get the turret off the Optophot because it has only smallish holes, and all my lenses are Mitutoyo. Also it has a tube lens, but I want to use the Sigma Life Size Adapter (as you do) and others; it is important to me to be able to change the focal length of the tube lens depending on my subject and camera sensor size.

Any idea how to get the turret off? That seems like it should be designed to be changed by the user, and getting it off would be the first step towards getting the black mounting collar off. Your experience with that is daunting. I suppose soaking in solvents would destroy the tube lens. b

Saul

Post by Saul »

Thanks Lou,
I have to get the turret off the Optophot because it has only smallish holes

You can use rms-26mm adapter , same like in the photo for Nikon BD objectives. Removable Reichert tube lens is in the head. If you want to use Sigma LSA - http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... 821#233821
I suppose soaking in solvents would destroy the tube lens
I do not think it is a tube lens - just compensating lens. And you do not need to submerge everything to the solvent - just few drops on the thread to keep it moist.
Saul
μ-stuff

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

I recently got some of those adapters, though I haven't tested them yet. I suspect that they behave fine on BD lenses, because the BD lens' extra diameter for projecting light onto the object is not used. But the Mitu lenses have a wider diameter for good optical reasons, and the adapter will probably stop them down.

abednego1995

Post by abednego1995 »

A bit of help, if it hasn't been solved yet.
The nikon scope you've got is a Labophot, and the nosepiece was not meant to be "easily" removable by the user.
You've got to grab a lens spanner and remove the locking ring within the mating flange. The nosepiece will then
fall through, and if you wish to remove the upper flange from the body also, remove screws #41B from the second
snippet(I think there will be 3 of them.)

Cheers.

P.S. If you want an interchangeable turret like the UM-2, the above procedure will not help since the Labophot
simply doesn't have the bottomside flange for accepting turrets from the Optiphot. You'd need an Optiphot and
a BD turret for the Optiphot to achieve your aim.

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

Abednego, thanks very much for that help. There is also epoxy holding the lens in, but maybe it is superficial. I will search for a lens spanner wrench. Meanwhile I partly solved the problem by swapping parts and focusing blocks from other equipment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic