New toy and old subjects

Images made through a microscope. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

piotr

New toy and old subjects

Post by piotr »

I have been experimenting with a home-made DIC setup for a while. I am using Zeiss Photomicroscope III stand, so adding custom attachments is relatively easy. I have a few Olympus DIC condenser prisms and a DIC slider (U-DICTH). The slider doesn't fit Zeiss slider port, but I carefully disassembled it and removed the prism, so I can use it anyway. The effects are very nice and the best combination I found is Olympus 20x planapo objective with 40x/oil prism (UNPD40OIL). I can't fit the condenser prism into a Zeiss turret, so I put it into a holder below the condenser. Background is a bit uneven, but the DIC effect is there and it is spectacular when watched with eyes.

Temporarily I don't have a DSLR camera, so the images are a bit blurry and noisy, not nearly as nice as I expect them to be. But using DIC is a real pleasure. It is like discovering microscopy from the beginning.

Zeiss PM3 stand with Olympus Planapo 20x/0.70 objective, Sony DSC-V1 camera, background removed with Olympus Background Subtraction tool.

Paramecium sp.

Marine nematode

Oil droplets dispersed in water

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

However you did it there Piotr, you seemed to have done it right. The crystals in the paramecium really light up and those oil droplets are really cool too! :smt023

piotr

Post by piotr »

Thank you, Ken! :)

Still a lot of room for improvement - but I'm glad I found some time for microscopy!

gpmatthews

Post by gpmatthews »

Piotr - it's good to see someone else using an improvised DIC setup - I married Leitz optics to my Zeiss stand and like you am very pleased with the results. I also found that it gave a refreshing new start.

After you've used the DIC for a while, I found it similarly instructive to go back to a simple transmitted light setup and also use darkground and COL - it gives a much deeper appreciation of the capabilities of some of the simple techniques.
Graham

Though we lean upon the same balustrade, the colours of the mountain are different.

bernhardinho

Post by bernhardinho »

Hi Piotr

very impressive pics. Do you happen to know Neat Image ?

www.neatimage.com

It is a very nice and easy to use tool to denoise pics!!

Bernhard

piotr

Post by piotr »

Graham - thank you! Your excellent results were inspiration for my experiments. I still haven't figured out how to properly position the condenser prism, but I keep trying!

Bernhard - thank you for your kind words. Yes, I know Neat Image, but I haven't tried it on the DIC images yet. Great idea! The noise is visible, indeed, especially after the contrast is boosted in a picture editor.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic