Nikon Super Coolscan 8000 ED Lens Mounting

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Nikon Super Coolscan 8000 ED Lens Mounting

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

RobertOToole wrote:
Macro_Cosmos wrote:The lens is just literally a cemented cylinder. All the optics I assume are cemented inside, which means it's almost impossible to service. (Rebuilding it with a new housing... could work in theory?).
Missed this one.

FYI. This kind of lens is calibrated at the factory for optimum performance. Each lens cell is set in the optimum position in relation to the others.

You can easily break the thread-locker that is applied but if you disassemble the lens, you lose the calibration.

Robert
Thanks for your valuable information Robert! Much appreciated.
I purchased a set of SM2 stuff to use with the ITL200 I have, including that unreasonably expensive F-mount adapter, it was $95 or something. I think a BR2 - 52mmx1 threaded reverse adapter will work just as well for a small faction of the cost. I'm thinking of writing an extensive article and starting a blog on the SM2 tubes if they work out :)

As for calibration, yes indeed, we don't have the tools necessary for perfect calibration. I've received photos of the lens from my relatives, they seem to be simply glued as you have stated. I would guess an hot air gun is enough to disassemble it. Not going to attempt it.

Looking at your blogpost, you have a very intuitive way to mount the SM2 tubes! I was thinking of something similar with the arca rail just without the clamps. The clamps seem to work out nicely though. Mine is basically washers and 8-32 screws for the rail... it would be ideal if thorlabs offered 1/4-20 tapped mounting rings!

Which route did you take to mount the tube holder (or collar?) to the arca clamps? I am thinking of these 2, with and without the clamps:
Clamp:
Thorlabs 1/4-20 > 8-32 ext. > int.
https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cf ... er=AE8E25E

No clamp: (int to int, smooth unthreaded cylinder)
https://www.thorlabs.com/thorproduct.cf ... er=AI25E8E
The annoyance here is that the entire contraption is elevated, which adds instability.

It's safe to call these little gems, at $5 a pop, they are really expensive. For field use, I'm leaning towards the clamped method in your illustrations.
The obvious advantage of those clamps is coarse adjustments along the horizontal axis. I personally don't need it for my studio setup, mine will be clamped to the 66mm rails from Thorlabs.

Thanks!
- MC

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

MC,

Here's a link to the use of clamps Peter (MJKZZ) now offers. These are 1/4-20 threaded on bottom and have ARCA grooves in the sides.

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=37452

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

mawyatt wrote:MC,

Here's a link to the use of clamps Peter (MJKZZ) now offers. These are 1/4-20 threaded on bottom and have ARCA grooves in the sides.

Best,
Thanks! They also seem to be a lot cheaper as well!
Not sure if the SM2 tubes can be mounted without any modification (wrapping it in electrical tape for instance) or not. The internal radius of the thorlabs ones I have is smaller. Box of stuff just arrived today, going to work on it tomorrow after the final exam I got.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
mawyatt wrote:MC,

Best,
Thanks! They also seem to be a lot cheaper as well!
Not sure if the SM2 tubes can be mounted without any modification (wrapping it in electrical tape for instance) or not. The internal radius of the thorlabs ones I have is smaller. Box of stuff just arrived today, going to work on it tomorrow after the final exam I got.
MC,

Peter's clamps are designed for the popular 58mm ebay tubes, I had to "build up" my PN105mm rear for the two clamps, the other clamp was on the 58mm section near the camera mount so no need for anything else. I simply used 1/2" Gaffers tape for the smaller diameter tubes on the PN105 rear section which is ~55mm diameter. As you can see from the image it came out nice, I really didn't want to mess up Peter's beautiful clamps or the PN105 with any crude looking hacks :D

Just checked the Thor SM-2 tube diameter, it appears to be 55.9mm, so Peter's clamps should work fine with a few turns of Gaffers tape.

He has a couple complete lens mount kits as well that include everything.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic