Software for safe transmission of photos

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

MacroB

Software for safe transmission of photos

Post by MacroB »

Hello All!

Something slightly different today. You've set up the microscope and camera, taken the photos and now you want to send them out to a client.

What do you find is the safest way, which will protect your copyright but also get them to the client quickly???

Yes, I know I could email low res photos but it is the high res ones that will impress the client. Have looked at various websites but apart from a key code for protection and facilities for sales thay have a lot I would never use.

Alles Gute,
Bob

enricosavazzi

Re: Software for safe transmission of photos

Post by enricosavazzi »

MacroB wrote:Hello All!

Something slightly different today. You've set up the microscope and camera, taken the photos and now you want to send them out to a client.

What do you find is the safest way, which will protect your copyright but also get them to the client quickly???

Yes, I know I could email low res photos but it is the high res ones that will impress the client. Have looked at various websites but apart from a key code for protection and facilities for sales thay have a lot I would never use.

Alles Gute,
Bob
Which of these is the actual problem:

(1) Transmitting the files safely (preventing snooping on Internet traffic).
(2) Preventing unauthorized access to the files stored on a server.
(3) Preventing unauthorized copying and spreading of the files once they have been downloaded.

For (1), an HTTPS server should be the simplest and most effective solution (as long as the server is properly configured to serve the picture files through HTTPS, not HTTP). File size is not a problem, as long as the Internet connection is good. If you need something fault-tolerant that can resume an interrupted download or a dropped connection, it is more complicated (but many web browsers can do these things nowadays).

For (2), user login would seem to be the easiest way. Can easily be implemented on an HTTPS server. Each user should be given a separate "home" directory if the set of files each user needs to access varies on a per user basis.

I am not sure about (3), but some form of DRM would seem to be the solution.
--ES

anoldsole

Post by anoldsole »

From my understanding, if you are going to be transmitting the photos to your clients there is nothing that will completely prevent them from being able to steal it. Watermarks can be removed, DRM can be circumvented. But just emailing them high res photos is just handing it to them.

I think the goal is the make it sufficiently difficult to steal, and make it as easy as possible to view. Does anybody have experience with any of the web services that people use for proofing?

MacroB

Safe transmission of photos

Post by MacroB »

Hello Enrico,
Thanks for coming to the rescue. Must admit I don't know anything about HTTPS servers but I will look in to it.

And then as Anoldsole said, it's just a case of making it as difficult as poss to steal but as easy as poss to view. Somewhere where those two unlikely bed fellows meet.

Thanks to you both. Best wishes, Bob

enricosavazzi

Re: Safe transmission of photos

Post by enricosavazzi »

MacroB wrote:Hello Enrico,
Thanks for coming to the rescue. Must admit I don't know anything about HTTPS servers but I will look in to it.

And then as Anoldsole said, it's just a case of making it as difficult as poss to steal but as easy as poss to view. Somewhere where those two unlikely bed fellows meet.

Thanks to you both. Best wishes, Bob
Just to be more precise, user/password authentication will prevent unauthorized access in a general sense, by third parties not in contact with the account owner. However, it offers no protection if one user gives/sells his password to someone else. In this case, everybody in possession of the username and password will have access to the files on the server.
--ES

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic