How to mount square tube vertically?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

How to mount square tube vertically?

Post by Deanimator »

Does anybody know how to mount this stuff:

vertically onto a board or table top?

I'm looking at alternate DIY vertical mounts for my Wemacro.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

This is a slightly tricky type of metal stock to mount. You need preferably four brackets, one on each side, to attach this column vertical to a horizontal board. The tricky part is that placing a screw in through one hole and out of the opposite hole and fastening the screw with a nut on the opposite side of the column compresses the column, so you cannot tighten the nut very hard (you might deform the column by squeezing it if you overtighten).

You might be able to avoid this problem by placing the nut (or the bolt head) inside the column. Ideally you should put four nuts/bolts inside the column, one for each bracket. I doubt there is enough place for four bolt heads inside this column, though.

Right angle brackets should look more or less like this (except possibly for size) to be really stiff: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-o ... 06869.html

or like this, but in this case you may need to file off a couple of tabs on the connecting faces: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20pcs-2 ... 25832.html

However, I would rather choose 20/20 or similar aluminium profile for the column instead of the one shown in your picture, since you can use specially made blind nuts in the grooves of the profile and have a much more flexible choice of where to place the fastenings. Once you have selected the profile type for the column, you can choose the appropriate types of brackets, bolts and nuts, as well as many other parts that you may find useful.

For a while I have used a column made from a 90 x 90 mm profile similar to eBay item 182274905718, which is stiff enough for work at high magnification, and can be filled with concrete for added stiffness and mass. 100 x 100mm, 90 x 180 mm and 90 x 135 mm profiles are also available.

The base of the stand also needs to be stiff and heavy. A granite slab works very well, but if you prefer metal I would suggest a 20 to 30 mm thick aluminium alloy plate. I am aware that some members use a wood plate as stand base, but personally I prefer a stiffer material.

If this is your first vertical stage, one further thing I recommend is that you decide the thickness and length of the column you will need, then double both the thickness and the length to be safe. Once you start using your stand, you are very likely to discover that you actually need a longer and stiffer column than you originally planned, so you can just as well start with one.
--ES

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

WeMacro has a vertical stand created for stacking, for $109 it's hard to beat and even includes a coarse XY stage.

http://www.wemacro.com/?product=vertical-stand

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

elf

Post by elf »

It only takes two right angle brackets to constrain a vertical post. 8020 and also Misumi sell brackets for their extrusions. Whether or not they would fit your post would depend on where the holes are located.

p.s. You could remove material from the bottom of the post in order to make the holes match the brackets.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

enricosavazzi wrote:If this is your first vertical stage, one further thing I recommend is that you decide the thickness and length of the column you will need, then double both the thickness and the length to be safe. Once you start using your stand, you are very likely to discover that you actually need a longer and stiffer column than you originally planned, so you can just as well start with one.
Thanks for the information.

Between support calls at work last night, I saw an internal fixture that slipped inside the tubing and could be bolted to something. I haven't yet found something similar that would work with the item which I pictured.

Right now, I'm using a furniture foot with a ballhead on top.

So far, it's worked pretty well, but I'm looking at something simpler with less lateral stress.

Some time this week I'm gong to be making another one using a longer foot with an Arca Swiss clamp bolted along the long axis, onto which the Wemacro can be clamped.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

mawyatt wrote:WeMacro has a vertical stand created for stacking, for $109 it's hard to beat and even includes a coarse XY stage.

Best,
It looks like a good piece of equipment and gets good reviews.

I'm trying to stick with the same base I'm using now in the name of space. Also most of my stuff has been DIY, so I'm trying to stick with that for now.
Last edited by Deanimator on Sun May 13, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

elf wrote:It only takes two right angle brackets to constrain a vertical post. 8020 and also Misumi sell brackets for their extrusions. Whether or not they would fit your post would depend on where the holes are located.

p.s. You could remove material from the bottom of the post in order to make the holes match the brackets.
Do you have a link for the Misumi extrusions? I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm not certain.

Thanks.

Update:

I found their website, but like a lot of industrial sites, it presumes a certain level of familiarity wit the product.

What specifications would you recommend for my application?

elf

Post by elf »

That would be hard to say as you haven't given any dimensions for your post :D

Here's the Misumi bracket link.

enricosavazzi

Post by enricosavazzi »

mawyatt wrote:WeMacro has a vertical stand created for stacking, for $109 it's hard to beat and even includes a coarse XY stage.

Best,
The WeMacro stand is a good one for starters, and it is made mostly from standard 20/20 parts (except the base).

An advantage of this stand is that it is ready to use, no drilling or machining required (unless you need a different mounting height of the focus rack not supported by pre-drilled holes). A disadvantage is that you cannot choose a longer or thicker column or larger base from the start, and if you are going to swap out parts later it is overall much cheaper to just build the stand with standard 20/20 stock.
--ES

JL

Post by JL »

You may browse through the OpenBuilds site ( https://openbuilds.com/ ), they offer a wide amount of parts to build almost anything.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

ES,

It's pretty stable and I use it up to ~5X, for more magnification/stability I go my with bulkier more stable horizontal setup.

The base is somewhat small but can easily be attached to a larger base if required, however the vertical post can't easily be modified for better stability.

Agree, for simplicity and ease of assembly it's quite good, small and inexpensive. Certainly worth having for a quick "go to" setup for low magnifications, which is my main use :wink:

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

JL wrote:You may browse through the OpenBuilds site ( https://openbuilds.com/ ), they offer a wide amount of parts to build almost anything.
Thanks.

That's a little easier to fathom than Misumi's site.

I see people's rigs which use lever clamps to mount cameras, etc., on the rails. What are those called? I haen't been able to find them so far.

Saul

Post by Saul »

Saul
μ-stuff

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

Have the Wemacro stand and is perfect for those just entering the hobby or semi-professionals. Good quality, construction and price.
Fred H.

GrayPlayer

Post by GrayPlayer »

One option for mounting square tube vertically, 4 90 degree angle irons, off setting bolts.
Fred H.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic