Ever seen a rhubarb flower?

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Ever seen a rhubarb flower?

Post by Beatsy »

I guess this just sneaks in as a 'close up'...

Last week, our rhubarb patch comprised a handful of spindly stalks. This week, it looks like it's been growing for a month! Astonishingly fast growth in a week during which it developed an alien pod too. This patch is older than I am and I've never seen it flower before. Good year for rhubarb!

I'll be following developments with interest.

Chris S.
Site Admin

Post by Chris S. »

Nice documentation, Beats! Your magnification seems absolutely on-topic for our forum, as you've moved in just close enough to display elements of interest that are seen only when looking close at the small details.

Have you thought of moving in even closer, in an attempt to visually document the sharp-edged oxalic acid crystals that cut into the mouths of would-be grazers and teach them not to mess with this plant?

Cheers,

--Chris S.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

Thanks Chris
Chris S. wrote:...Have you thought of moving in even closer...
Need you even ask? :D

I hope my "following of developments" will culminate in a series of super close-ups of rhubarb seeds and associated gubbins (now including oxalic acid crystals - thanks for the suggestion).

Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Rhubarb flowers nearly every year at ours and is a host to a whole variety off 'small' insects. Very interesting subject. One is already in full bloom, while another is a bit behind... Have not done any higher magn as off yet... :oops:
I am very interested to see what you come up with .. :wink:
Always looking at the bright side of life,
Kr, Rudi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic