Shield bug - using DImage 2400 Dual scanner lens at 1.8x

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Shield bug - using DImage 2400 Dual scanner lens at 1.8x

Post by Beatsy »

This was a comedy of errors. I got this Hawthorn shield bug tastefully arranged on a sprig of broccoli and left it on the desk "settling" to avoid any appendages sagging during stacking. Unfortunately, the bottom fell out of a box of adapters I picked up and the contents landed right on the bug. He was already missing a leg when I found him, but lost two more and and got his back end smushed in the mishap. So I cut the rest of the legs off, dipped his rear end in PVA glue and stuck him to a small pine cone thingy - composing the stack to hide the carnage.

At 1.8x, the full-frame FoV is 20mm. Positively agoraphobia-inducing it is :) The stack was 11mm deep and taken with 100micron steps for 111 images in total. This 2400 scanner lens seems to have a pretty short focal length, so it produces lots of perspective foreshortening. This meant I had to turn on scaling in Zerene (PMax) and lost quite a bit of the FoV to streakies around the edges (as expected). So after cropping these out, the final FoV is around 14-15mm - still "ultra-wide-angle" compared to my usual stacks. A little output sharpening was applied to the image - but more out of habit than necessity.

Not bad for a freebie lens! Here's a 100% (pixel for pixel) crop of the critter from the image above. Pls excuse the hazy bits, the bug was actually quite a distance behind that bit of foreground cone, so I'm surprised it wasn't a lot worse.

Incidentally, the scanner lens isn't too shabby for handheld macro either. I'm going to try it with an iris fitted behind for some aperture and DoF control. The extra thickness of the iris will take it to about 2x I think. Another time though...
Last edited by Beatsy on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

I'd call this an outstanding result all around. Thanks for posting!

Leonard

Troels

Post by Troels »

Very nice picture.
Of special interest for me beceause I own a Minolta Dual Scan 3600 scanner.
When I finish scanning my old color dias, or the scanner stops working, or my old Windows XP computer running the newest available drivers stops working it is nice to know that I can rescue a nice lens. 8)
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Roel Wijtmans

Post by Roel Wijtmans »

Interesting! Never thought of the fact that these scanners might have usable lenses. And I hear you with smashing the bug, stuff like that happens to me all the time.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Steve,

Seems Sir Edsel Murphy has transversed the Atlantic after hanging out here :oops:

https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=36991

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

mawyatt wrote:Steve,

Seems Sir Edsel Murphy has transversed the Atlantic after hanging out here :oops:

Best,
Haha - forgot about that. It's obviously well-deserved karma for making a joke about your mishap :D

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Beatsy wrote:
mawyatt wrote:Steve,

Best,
Haha - forgot about that. It's obviously well-deserved karma for making a joke about your mishap :D
Well I'm too old to cry :cry:

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic