2X Test Minolta Scan 5400 vs Canon 35mm f2.8 Macrophoto Lens

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

2X Test Minolta Scan 5400 vs Canon 35mm f2.8 Macrophoto Lens

Post by RobertOToole »

7 lenses at 2x.

Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner Lens
Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II Scanner Lens
Nikon Scanner Nikkor ED 7 Element Scanner Lens
Canon 35MM f/2.8 Macrophoto Lens
Rodenstock 75mm F/4.5 APO Rodagon D 2X Lens
Optikos Teradyne 106mm f/2 Inspection Lens
Canon-MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo Lens

This is the fourth installment of the 2x test,
Part 1: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37028
Part 2: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37031
Part 3: http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=37032

Setup
Camera: Sony A6300, model # ILCE-6300
Sensor size: 23.5 × 15.6 mm. APS-C. 28.21 mm diagonal. 3.92 micron sensor pitch
Flash: Godox TT350s wireless flash x 2 with one Godox X1s 2.4G wireless flash transmitter
Vertical stand: Nikon MM-11 with a Nikon focus block

A series of images was shot with each lens in 10 micron steps, and the sharpest image was chosen for center, edge, and corner Photoshop at 100% actual pixel view. All images were shot as a single RAW files and processed in PS CC with all noise reduction and lens correction turned off, all settings were zeroed out (true zero) and the same settings were used for all of the images. All of the images shown here are single files.

Test target

This test is being broken up into sections for clarity. I am posting the lenses here in worst to best order.

Canon 35mm f/2.8 Macrophoto Lens vs Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner Lens at 2x

The Canon MP35 at 2x really makes things interesting!

The MP-35 was shot at f/2.8 to f/4, and the lens was sharper stopped down on stop. The MP-35 is my favorite lens at 2-3x where it hits its peak performance somewhere past 2x closer to 2.5x or 3x. Its hard to to beat in it's range and has better IQ than all the enlarger and bellows lenses I have used. 2x is about the lowest magnification you can run with it and its not its best here, the corners will improve closer to 3x.

To view any of the images in a larger size just click on any of these to open in a new window but the size depends on your browser to open at 1500px, right click on PC or two finger click on a Mac and choose open in a new Tab or new Window.

Center

Edge

Corner

This is a great comparison. They are both great. The Canon might have just a tiny edge in sharpness in the center but the Minolta has better IQ in the rest of the frame. Also the Canon has more CAs, but when you consider this lens was made in the 1980s its a superb performance. What do you think?

As usual the MP35 beats the MP-E 65s performance again here, this time at 2x.

And the Minolta, I would have never guesses the results, it beats my favorite 2-3x mag lens!

Up next: Optikos Terdyne 106mm f/2 Inspection lens vs Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 Scanner Lens

More details and the complete test can be found on my site: https://www.closeuphotography.com/2x-lens-test

Questions comments welcome.

lothman

Re: 2X Test Minolta Scan 5400 vs Canon 35mm f2.8 Macrophoto

Post by lothman »

RobertOToole wrote:7 lenses at 2x.

This is a great comparison. They are both great. The Canon might have just a tiny edge in sharpness in the center but the Minolta has better IQ in the rest of the frame. Also the Canon has more CAs, but when you consider this lens was made in the 1980s its a superb performance. What do you think?
Robert,
I think you make me spend too much money on eBay but on the other hand I think your contibution to my hobby is tremendous. Thanks for you pioneer work and your excellent documentation sharing with us :D :D :D
best regards
Lothar

[AdminCR:edit Rik>Robert]

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Sorry about spending your money Lothar but glad find my comparisons helpful!

Thanks also for taking time to comment.

Best,

Robert

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Citizen technoscience at its best!

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

houstontx wrote:Citizen technoscience at its best!
Thanks for the comment.

Robert

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

As always, excellent review and excellent website. I'm personally blown away what the DiMAGE is capable of doing even at 11x. Sure glad I didn't throw my Minolta DiMAGE Scan Elite 5400 II out after it quit working nearly 12 or so years ago. I bought it to scan about a 1000 35mm slides back in the day. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

chuong nguyen

Post by chuong nguyen »

Thanks for taking the time to post these valuable info. I have both lenses but never had time to do what you did. Again, thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic