New ringlights

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

GaryB

Post by GaryB »

Beatsy

I've taken video with mine and no banding straight from an adjustable voltage psu. The unit does get quite warm but not unreasonably so. According to the Chinese vendors these work with voltages from 9-24v. The colour a is cold white, probably in the 6-7k range so it can be harsh. I have a buckpuck with dimmer that I plan on hooking it to for running at higher voltages (upto 18v) but as yet I have only used it at 12v. Often, the cheap dimmers like the common $4 ebay ones can introduce flicker so generally I go with the buckpucks as they are a proven 'clean' unit and at $16 not a bad deal.

mjkzz

Post by mjkzz »

yeah, most dimmers are PWM based and this type of dimmer will flicker at low power setting.

Using the solution in my blog, you can set output voltage lower, thus reducing current and because the output will stay constant, the whole circuit behave like constant current source. I think it still flickers, but at very high frequency, like in 100s of khz . . . the only bad thing is, the trimmer to adjust voltage is a bit hard to do

or maybe a flikerless power source with easily adjustable knob should be designed for such application. :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic