www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Freshwater plant. ID?
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Freshwater plant. ID?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Krebs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Freshwater plant. ID? Reply with quote

This is a freshwater plant that I found in an old sample kept outside. I'm curious if anyone might have some ID information. I'd like to learn more about this species.

The cytoplasmic streaming seen through the microscope is remarkable. Here again I am curious about the round "spiked balls" flowing through the cell. Not a great video but you can see some here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKquFriEDzQ

Sumguy01

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what it is.
Amazing pics and video.
Thanks for sharing.
Wim van Egmond

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!

I think it is Chara.

Wim
Jacek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know what it is. Second photo of SUPER!
eward1897

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: surprisingly nice algae Reply with quote

I too think this is Chara. The interesting geometric spherical structures are antheridia (male sexual organs that produce biflagellate sperm).

Chara is one of the stonewort green algae. They are tough (sometimes calcified), branching, and have thick rhizomes that look like roots, giving a superficial resemblance to higher plants.

The cytoplasmic streaming is beautiful. I didn't know about it in Chara before, and will have to look for it. The chemistry (actin and myosin, same as your muscles) and physics (actin self organizes into spiral filaments) of Chara cytoplasmic steaming (a synonym for cyclosis) were worked out by Ray Goldstein at Cambridge University.

A journal article-
Woodhouse, F.G.; Goldstein, R.E. (2013), "Cytoplasmic streaming in plant cells emerges naturally by microfilament self-organization", Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110 (35): 14132–14137

A you tube video by Goldstein Lab-
youtube.com/watch?v=kud4qUhsCxg

A wikipedia article with details about cytoplasmic streaming-
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytoplasmic_streaming#Benefits_of_cytoplasmic_flow_in_Chara_corallina_and_Arabidopsis_thaliana

I've often enjoyed cyclosis in Elodea or Hydrilla but have generally not looked much at Chara other than scanning for epiphytes clinging to it. It never struck me as pretty like Spyrogyra and other green algae. One local lake grows Chara where waves pound on submerged rocks and I'll be looking for it now.

Thanks for the post. The images you dismiss as not particularly good are still better than my best efforts.

Ed
razashaikh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing!
Smokedaddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... amazing indeed.
GaryB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very interesting plant, the speed of the cytoplasmic streaming is quite remarkable, I've never seen anything like this myself so this is a treat.

Great stuff Charles. Very Happy
vasselle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour
Magnifique images
Cordialement seb
Roel Wijtmans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting stuff!
actinophrys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know the charophytes particularly well, but might this be some genus like Nitella? My understanding was that in Chara proper, the whorls of branchlets are not themselves divided, and in most kinds you can see distinct longitudinal bands.
eward1897

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: thanks for more info Reply with quote

Thanks to Charles for posting the images and thanks to actinophrys for more information.

I'm much further away from being an expert than actinophrys, and his doubts prompted more Googling. Some information about charophyte classification is at-

researchgate.net/publication/262459995_The_genera_Chara_and_Nitella_Chlorophyta_Characeae_in_the_subtropical_Itaipu_Reservoir_Brazil

http://shigen.nig.ac.jp/algae_tree/CharophyceaeE.html

biologydiscussion.com/algae/classification-of-charales-algae/57983

treasurecoastnatives.wordpress.com/category/nitella/

Grossly Chara is said to feel rough and smell musty or like garlic when crushed. Nitella is an inevasive species in several places and is said to feel smooth or slimy in the hand.

The above sources say that Chara usually has additional spike like cells (stipulodes and spines) branching from the nodes, and longitudinal coarse ridges along the main (internodal) cells. The spiral shaped female organ (nucula) is more elongated in Chara than Nitella, and is topped by a crown (coronula) of 5 cells in Chara, 10 in Nitella.

The living world is amazing, and it often takes an expert to get just to genus level taxonomy. Luckily us amateurs can still enjoy exploring and learning more. Thanks again Charles and actinophrys.

Whether Chara or Nitella or another genus, the charophyte internodal cells are huge. There's just one cell between nodes, so each cell is up to several centimeters long. Cytoplasmic streaming has also been filmed in Nitella, including this YouTube video-

youtube.com/watch?v=X_X9-NqCtgA

Thanks again Photomacrography community for teaching me something new and wonderful.

Ed in Minnesota
Marek Mis

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome images, Charlie !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Photography Through the Microscope All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: