Micro moth macro

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Micro moth macro

Post by Beatsy »

I posted an initial "test stack" asking for an ID of this critter yesterday. But I almost immediately realised what it was and deleted the post. I'm not sure if it's a newly emerged male (wings not yet "pumped up") or a flightless female though.

Anyway, here's today's stack of 94 images, taken with an MP-E 65 (at ~2.3x) on a Sony A7rii running in APS-C crop mode. The field of view is roughly 8mm wide.

And a "behind the scenes" shot taken during prep. Spoiling the magic... :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I saw the earlier post and was waiting for somebody to post an ID.

So, what is it?

--Rik

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

I only figured it out to micro moth Rik, not species, sorry. Embarrassed to have missed even that at first though. The stubby wings set me off on the wrong track.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

OK, thanks.

As further background, note that microlepidoptera are a large and diverse artificial group, comprising the majority of families and around 1/3 of the currently described species of all moths. That number is likely to go up as the moth folks sort out the little ones.

Unfortunately I'm largely clueless about even my local micros, and I have no idea at all regarding yours.

From general appearance, I'm inclined to think that this one normally flies but got caught before its wings expanded, either by you or by a defect in its development. But that could easily be wrong. You would need to check with a local expert to have a really good idea. Getting it to species does not seem likely, since most IDs are based on wing patterns which we cannot see in this specimen.

Thanks for the methods shot.

--Rik

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

JKT

Post by JKT »

Female of geometrid moth Malacodea regelaria looks a lot like this and the timing is right too. The other wingless females of spring geometrids (that I recall) are larger and sturdier.
Last edited by JKT on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

JKT wrote:Female of geometrid moth Malacodea regelaria looks a lot like this and the timing is right too.
Thanks. I'll update my notes.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic